Linux help?

pubjoe

Website
Visit site
I have a friend who is trying out linux (Redhat). He is having some troubles installing a broadband modem.

The drivers for the modem are shell-based and I think he's having problems navigating round the hard-drive within the shell. (ie: choosing 'C:\Drivers\Modem' something like that.

Is this something to do with a Unix based system instead of Dos?

If someone (Evil Dragon maybe??) recognises this as an easy problem to answer then it would be much appreciated.

Or a link to a good website or forum would be nice.

Thanks.

I can't understand your problem fully:

Are the broadband modem drivers on a windows (eg NTFS or FAT) partition and the problem is how to access this non-linux partition?
Or are these Drivers on a linux partition and you just don't know how to navigate around on a unix file system?

Linux partition I presume. (

Sorry my question makes no sense, I've never used any version of Linux other than that knoppix cd.

I think he's just having problems navigating a Unix file system.

Setup ethernetcard properly.
Setup ppoe or pptp correctly.

Then you should be able to connect to the web.
Both Knoppix, Mandrake and Suse (all Linux incarnations) have similar approaches and user friendly ways of getting a broadband connection to work!

Personally I use a stand alone-router/ethernethub combo that logs on to the provider with my Alcatel modem. With my computer I connect to the router´s IP address.

Any help?

Thanks for the time and help.

I think hes having too many problems for me to explain, (it's not me honest!)

I don't understand Linux very well, maybe I'll give it a try soon.

I've recommended he logs in and states his questions himself.

If anyone could recommend a good Linux Help site that would be most useful.

Thanks again.

P.S. Oh and he's using Mandrake not Redhat... whoops

Back