Libflashplayer.so

hdonk

I've started the work to get the android libflashplayer.so working on the Pandora with firefox 3.6.8, but it suddenly occured to me, has anyone else done this yet? Don't want to duplicate effort...

Unofficially I did look at the N900 flash player plugin, but I'm not sure if anything will come of it, and you're working on the Android one, so go ahead...

urjaman said:
Unofficially I did look at the N900 flash player plugin, but I'm not sure if anything will come of it, and you're working on the Android one, so go ahead...
Cool - I'm using the frash stuff & building on it...

Last edited by a moderator:
hdonk said:
I've started the work to get the android libflashplayer.so working on the Pandora with firefox 3.6.8, but it suddenly occured to me, has anyone else done this yet? Don't want to duplicate effort...

w00t. You are my FF-related hero. ;)

-God Ginrai

hdonk said:
I tried but fail. The reason :
This libflash player depend on the libc Android provide and crash with any glibc I tried.
This basically resume to :
have firefox to run until tring to launch flash or having firefox to crash-dump using Android libc.
You could build a firefox using this libc and package without any dependency on the pandora OS. But I guess this will lead to a _lot_ of work (with many patch involved).
My *wild* guess are to belive that chromimum might be a better fit. But I've yet to manage to build it. I fail to cross compile this or anything bigger that a piece of cake (I also fail at bringing KDEgames. I think that is related to the fact that our toolkit depend on glibc2.10 while the pandora having 2.9 onboard. but this is still *wild* guess too.)

At least maemo didn't forked the kernel and the libc, so their flashplayer should be a better target. But I didn't realy tried yet.

By the way you may prove me completly wrong (I would love it :p )

cheers

PS: for everyone else : I didn't say that he shouldn't try so no flames please :)

It's going to need some patience. The player is using Android's media library (libstagefright) - and to get that working I'm having to pull in most of Android's support libraries! At least it feels like it. Plus finding all sorts of odd versions of various other things (libspeex-1.1.12), etc, etc...
The main problem is going to be the errno incompatibility between the Pandora's c library & the version it was built against. I think....

Woohoo! Stage 1 complete - no more missing shared libraries or undefined symbols, no real shortcuts taken:

th_snapshot-100727-174459.png

hdonk said:
Woohoo! Stage 1 complete - no more missing shared libraries or undefined symbols, no real shortcuts taken:

Wow congratulations, maybe the Pandora will be the first non-oficial platform to play flash? :)

Hitnrun said:
hdonk said:

Wow congratulations, maybe the Pandora will be the first non-oficial platform to play flash? :)
The iPad does already :)

It runs, it doesn't crash (until you quit Firefox)... but it displays crap.
Now I need to debug I guess.

hdonk said:
It runs, it doesn't crash (until you quit Firefox)... but it displays crap.
Now I need to debug I guess.

Now that's what I call progress! ^_^

-God Ginrai

We ain't there it - it's still only a first step. The page I put up shows that the plugin is registering correctly with Firefox, and that there are no missing dependencies or variables, but actually running a flash application doesn't work.
It currently looks like the plugin threads that run in to the flash plugin are terminating - not crashing, but just giving up. I'm still trying to actually figure out a way to 'see' what's going on - Attaching something like strace to the plugin would be a good start...
I'm going to try and put all the work I've done so far in to a package over the next few days so anyone else who wants to can join in the fun :D

hdonk said:
We ain't there it - it's still only a first step. The page I put up shows that the plugin is registering correctly with Firefox, and that there are no missing dependencies or variables, but actually running a flash application doesn't work.
It currently looks like the plugin threads that run in to the flash plugin are terminating - not crashing, but just giving up. I'm still trying to actually figure out a way to 'see' what's going on - Attaching something like strace to the plugin would be a good start...
I'm going to try and put all the work I've done so far in to a package over the next few days so anyone else who wants to can join in the fun :D

You bet we will!

Not that I care about flash, I care about doing the impossible :)

Despite what others might say, I personally believe that getting flash working will be vital to the success of the Pandora. Don't get me wrong, Pandora won't die if it doesn't get flash, but it would certainly stunt it's growth, popularity and functionality. I really hope this port is successful. I already wrote to Adobe requesting official support for flash on the Pandora, but they never even got back to me - so it looks like we'll need to move things forward by ourselves. Thankfully we have a talented and resourceful bunch, and I wish you all good luck and success.

Back