Li-Ion Battery Inventor Creates Breakthrough Solid-State Battery, Holds 3X Charge

3x charge is absolutely amazing. If weight and cost aren't much higher - this will finally give electric cars the energy source that's needed to reach the mileage that people need/expect. I wonder if this can be combined with the Kreisel Brothers' way of building battery packs.

and best, we could operate our pyras in -20-degree celsius environments too, brrrrr!
good that spring is coming now and we have some warmer/fluless time soon. :)

That's great ! Hopefully smart -phones and -watches will finally last longer than a day on heavy use :oops:
Still, we have no idea how much it costs to make for now, and how long it will take for it to be mass-produced.

@Kev2442, they might just go in the opposite direction, unless things like the Pyra (with long battery life) catch on. smaller devices/thinner batteries, instead of more life. people are used to charging their devices about once a day...

I have serious doubts. This isn't the first battery breakthrough promised to bring higher capacity for lower cost.
Note that such doubts are simply dampened enthusiasm: every time some new technology is announced I hold serious hope that it'll actually come to fruition, I just don't hold my breath on it.

Li-S batteries are still coming. There's been steady if not spectacular improvements since it first came to the news services in 2008 according to my brief research just now on wikipedia and oxis energy's website.

I wonder if it might help that there's a sound commercial reason for battery makers to bring this one to market. If changing the electrolyte to glass makes the batteries a lot less prone to catch fire, and the airlines are willing to carry them, it could drastically reduce shipping costs and/or time frames...

Just a thought...

-Neelix

The main benefit to airlines and car makers is the increased power density of these newer batteries, meaning you need to dedicate less volume for them and generally they tend to weigh less correspondingly. Anything with such a high power density from lithium-ion up is always going to be a fire risk if not properly handled though.

Mr. John Goodenough (is that his real name?) has been producing lithium-ion batteries that are just good enough. I like that he's keeping up with technology, but TESLA already figured out most of this stuff from him. They have double-density batteries in their cars NOW and soon the 3X. John is a pioneer and an American icon, but technology moves on. "Lithium-Ion" isn't the end-all-be-all...it's just a start. We have so many chemistryS to explore. Lithium/Sulfur will be faaaar cheaper and Lithium/Ion(AIR) will produce quantitative levels of power. We have graphite batteries and superconductors coming...it's exciting times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every now and then we hear about breakthroughs in battery technology.

The time required to actually industrialize it means that batteries slowly and steadily get better such that by the time this is actually available it won't be a leap anymore.

i wish we could speed the time to market on some of these (seemingly helpful, environmental wise and technological wise) projects.

Back