Let's Get Excited About The Gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
jislizard said:
I'm excited about getting my 2x back from Germany with the new d-pad mod, finally I will be able to play minesweeper and Sudoku the way they were meant to be.

Other than that I prefer to wait until everything is finished or as good as they are going to get. It's not that I don't feel your excitement with all the updates it's just that I am so technically challenged that I can never tell if the emus have crashed or I haven't set them up properly.
i would like to see a picture of the dpad mod on the gp

lobski said:
Does anyone actually have hopes for great PSX emulation on the gp2x? IMO, I don't think the gp2x can ever achieve full speed with PSX! :eek:

Perhaps I'm pessimistic.
Man, the rabid obsession with PSX around here. You are right though it will not be fullspeed with sound on this hardware without alot of frameskip and overclock. It isn't the fault of the devs, the hardware just doesn't have quite enough oomph. Really if you (and others) have to have 3D and/or PSX, the PSP is really the best choice.

Otherwise there is alot of great other stuff to play on the GP2X.

I'm working on an asteroids game that I'm excited about. Maybe in a couple weeks it'll be pretty sweet, if you like those kinds of games. If I can make it happen I may do 4 more games in the next few months.

We _all_ know that PSX emulation is admittedly pushing the boundaries of this device, but we know that the status of the project is constantly improving and developments like this are probably half the reason people bother to visit these forums..?

So.. people's obsession is completely understandable with it - it's enjoyable watching the progress.

If even a couple of dozen games end up playable at the end of it then that's great.

berighteous said:
I'm working on an asteroids game that I'm excited about. Maybe in a couple weeks it'll be pretty sweet, if you like those kinds of games. If I can make it happen I may do 4 more games in the next few months.
I'm looking forward to it/them :)

DaveC said:
Man, the rabid obsession with PSX around here. You are right though it will not be fullspeed with sound on this hardware without alot of frameskip and overclock. It isn't the fault of the devs, the hardware just doesn't have quite enough oomph. Really if you (and others) have to have 3D and/or PSX, the PSP is really the best choice.

Otherwise there is alot of great other stuff to play on the GP2X.
Indeed. Oh well, PSX is probably 'retro' and 'old skool' to many people, and like SNES, it's a very popular emulation platform, just look at the obscenely long threads related to them.

fishguts will captivate the world on its arrival and people will thrown down their DS's in droves to buy gp2xs to play kickass CRPG ;) hehehehe

mm also got a bomberman/pacman hybrid game in the works called Rockstomper

Looking forward to the first 3d racing game for gp2x :)

Even my crappy w800i has games called planet riders and burning tires that's 3d using the Abyss engine :p

These 2 games are also hardware-scalable...the better your phone the better the gfx and fps!

stormyandcold said:

Even my crappy w800i has games called planet riders and burning tires that's 3d using the Abyss engine :p

These 2 games are also hardware-scalable...the better your phone the better the gfx and fps!
Erm, I think you'll find the GP2X has a 3D racing game.

GoityGP

Unfathomable Depths said:
stormyandcold said:

Erm, I think you'll find the GP2X has a 3D racing game.

GoityGP

:lol:

My next project is writing a mode 7 scaler for SDL on the GP2X.
That sounds excellent :)

My next project is writing a mode 7 scaler for SDL on the GP2X.
I'm about to start work on something like that too- I've already got one prototyped in macromedia director cos it is easy to code in, and now I'm hoping to port it over to SDL in C.

EDIT: Oh, I'm also thinking about writing a software synthesizer for the GP2X, cos there is a lack of cool music stuff at the moment (except LittleGPTracker!). Just need to get some theory worked out :)

Back