Leaving Pandora on indefinately

Lao Rebel

is it a good idea to leave the Pandora on indefinately? have anyone done this? is it a good idea? maybe leaving it on sleep mode forever like the 3DS?

As long as you don't keep it plugged in indefinitely then you should be good. I never turn of my Pandora.

My uptime is over 4 weeks, and that's a low number for some people. :p

As long as you don't keep it plugged in indefinitely then you should be good. I never turn of my Pandora.
As of HF7, this should no longer be an issue. It was almost fixed with HF6 but didn't help everybody. Now it does.

My uptime is over 4 weeks, and that's a low number for some people. :p
Mine is actually less than a week, but that's because of a hard reset due to some software crashing on me. I don't remember which.

As of HF7, this should no longer be an issue. It was almost fixed with HF6 but didn't help everybody. Now it does.
True, the explosion danger should not be there anymore.

Ok, I'm missing something here...explosion danger? What? Why not leave it plugged in all the time?

Because your battery would start expanding. Several of us have bulging batteries now, and don't feel very safe using them.

The charger chip was previously trickle-charging the battery. LiPo batteries do not like this. Extend this over a few weeks and not letting the battery rest (as in discharging it), you end up with a puffy battery.

ouch, I'm glad I know about that now. I didn't read about this before. Luckily, I don't really leave anything plugged in all that long..at least things like this anyways. My goal is to take it on the bus and play there a fair amount.

I've been running my Pandora 24/7 since I updated to SuperZaxxon, working great. I never leave my Pandora on charge though. I typically charge over USB when I am at my desk.

ouch, I'm glad I know about that now. I didn't read about this before. Luckily, I don't really leave anything plugged in all that long..at least things like this anyways. My goal is to take it on the bus and play there a fair amount.
As said before, this is nothing to worry about since HF6. HF7 make that something from the past ;)

Is it possible to use Pandora without battery inserted, if you connect it to charger. (Some devices do work without battery if you connect them to charger, but Pandora is not "Some device" :p )

Is it possible to use Pandora without battery inserted, if you connect it to charger. (Some devices do work without battery if you connect them to charger, but Pandora is not "Some device" :p )
It is, but with a caveat: Not all Pandoras can do this, for reasons I don't really understand.

Also, if your Pandora can do this, you must NEVER re-insert the battery while it's still connected to the charger - that's a dangerous thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is, but with a caveat: Not all Pandoras can do this, for reasons I don't really understand.

The pandora was never designed to run without the battery, it was an after-discovered "feature" that isn't documented. Therefore, the chips probably aren't tested in factory for this functionality.

If such a battery is just left and never touched again, could it start a fire or something on its own? Puffing up must be the reason my Dingoo's case got cracked a lot, as well as the reason why it stopped working.. And now the graphics chip is busted. I took care about it in many ways, but never actually thought about leaving it charging for extended periods of time being harmful.

That's good to know for when I eventually get a Pandora. Although it's probably already fixed, but never can be too sure ;)

Twice I've had replacement batteries in my Iriver H300 (mp3 player) swell to over 3 times their normal size, crushing the internal hard drive until it couldn't spin. So I stopped trying to use cheap batteries and ordered a proper one from america. Years later and the H300 is still running fine (damn tough little device).

Also, if your Pandora can do this, you must NEVER re-insert the battery while it's still connected to the charger - that's a dangerous thing to do.

Hehe, even as a Information technology Technician I understand that never plug battery while device gets power :D But you never can warn people enough ^_^

Hehe, even as a Information technology Technician I understand that never plug battery while device gets power :D But you never can warn people enough ^_^
Precisely. :)

I'd feel pretty bad if someone found the info about running minus battery, but never saw the warning, even if it is what I feel to be common sense. :p

Precisely. :)

I'd feel pretty bad if someone found the info about running minus battery, but never saw the warning, even if it is what I feel to be common sense. :p

I'm really not seeing how it's common sense. It's standard to insert external power, either from a wall adapter or USB, while a device battery is inserted. The device will usually switch to the external power, possibly because the rail goes to a slightly higher voltage which wins when supplied. There could also be some sense circuit which recognizes this and switches to charging the battery. Why is the opposite so obviously wrong? Why would you expect the state transition to the opposite cause some kind of serious hazard? I would intuitively expect it to start charging the battery.

Note that the other scenario of removing the battery without powering down has never been condemned and is often recommended.

Not saying there isn't some common reason that people might expect not to do this, but I'd also think that most devices would have protection circuitry to prevent this from being a hazard to your device if it otherwise were. I was pretty much yelled at for leaving my Pandora plugged in all the time with the battery in, being told common sense dictated that this would be a hazard for any device, and that normal people wouldn't do this. Now you can see that a lot of people do this and it's anything but common sense to expect it to be dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back