GP32 Learning C++

CrazyDesi posted on Aug 10 2004 at 05:18 PM said:
Azure posted on Aug 10 2004 at 10:35 PM said:
CrazyDesi posted on Aug 10 2004 at 03:26 PM said:
Azure posted on Aug 10 2004 at 09:36 PM said:
What do they provide a good reference for (In what case would it come handy)? C++ books aren't that hard to understand, so a good foundation isn't too necessary.

So, xboxit, just buy one of those two C++ books I recommended, and, if you have the time and the money, get a C book too.
Definately good to get a good foundation.

Although C++ books do explain alot they are usually more concerned with OOP so a 400 page C++ book might not be as beneficial as a 400 page C book that explains both things able to be used in C and C++.
Yeah, but wouldn't that get annoying, or frustrating or something. I mean, there are things in C++, the language that xboxit is trying to learn, that are also in C, but they use different command. From some posts, I've found that cout is printf, comments are /* or something. It seems like it would be just more confusing for xboxit. I mean, he'll first get exposed to C, which might affect him when he learns C++ because the things that you first learn tend to stick in more (When I first started to read, the first things I read seemed to be more important and sticked in my mind more. So, then the C commands might stick in his head more than the C++ commands, causing him to mix up commands).
There are other libraries that are explained complained to C++ that can also be used in C++. Such as rand, math functions, etc.(these are usually explained in C++ books as well but you get the point).

Also for the Gp32 C++ is not nearly as stable as C.
WTF? Is it me or did that sentence not make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea what I am posting today sorry lol. I am really dizzy from staying up couple of nights in a row. The sentence was suppose to say:

There are other libraries that are explained in C that can also be used in C++.

I have no idea how I got what I did.

I recomand starting by C too it will get you less confusing and you'll have a better understanding of your code than with C++ (at least that was true for me, i began with C++ and then changed to C and when finished with C, finished C++, i think the only mistake was to start by C++)

dieu666 posted on Aug 11 2004 at 05:53 AM said:
I recomand starting by C too it will get you less confusing and you'll have a better understanding of your code than with C++ (at least that was true for me, i began with C++ and then changed to C and when finished with C, finished C++, i think the only mistake was to start by C++)
Actually, it is MUCH more difficult to learn object oriented programming(i.e. C++) once you have already become accustomed to doing functional programming(i.e. C)

So, if you ever plan on doing Object Oriented Programming I would recommend learning it first.

dieu666 posted on Aug 11 2004 at 05:53 AM said:
Same thing here. I had a hard time reading some C++ books till I got a C book. Now I just use it as a reference.

:lol:
Dalto disagrees with dieu666's post, 25 minutes later, CrazyDesi says he agrees with dieu666's post.

Actually, I think learning C first would be more beneficial as I found out that C++ tends to make things more 'user friendly' .. eg cout and printf.. you have so much more control in printf then cout (in my experience).

Back