Lcd Tweaker - New Firmware

Lanman

Still Fresh
Recently received a gp2x and had no trouble updating to newest firmware (using a 1 gig, 66x Ridata). Installed the SDL library and DrMD to give it a whirl. Screen seemed good and (quickly) wasted a couple of hours on Warsong, Shining Force and some other games. Anywho, I digress ...

My screen looks pretty good but I have read about the LCD Tweaker. If you are runnign the newest firmware, is the LCD Tweaker of additional benefit?

Thank you in advance. :D

I find that the screen no longer has any flickering if I use the LCD tweaker:

Freq: 266Mhz
Timing prescaler: 2
LCD Clockgenerator: UPLL

^ These settings work very nicely for me.

I heard 266mhz is the actual clockspeed of the CPU and not 200mhz (as advertised)?

Is that really true?

If you don't notice a problem, don't get it. It does improve (just a bit) the preformance of certain emulators, but, as the old saying goes, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Thank you for the replies and the help. Now if I could just get gnuboy running with Selector. <sigh>

jmetal88 posted on Dec 30 2005 at 12:35 PM said:
My scanlines WILL NOT go away, no matter what setting. 0 on UPLL works best, but you can still see them.

I also still have scanlines. Is this one of the bugs that required a replace of unit?

I use 1 or 2 on UPLL. Hopefully the next version of the firmware or of the tweaker will make the changes load from boot, but for now it's not too bad running the app every time I start up my unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skitzo posted on Dec 30 2005 at 06:57 AM said:
jmetal88 posted on Dec 30 2005 at 12:35 PM said:
My scanlines WILL NOT go away, no matter what setting. 0 on UPLL works best, but you can still see them.

I also still have scanlines. Is this one of the bugs that required a replace of unit?

No, most probably no. Those "scanlines" are effect of dithering - look at the solid colours like white - no scanliness! This is so the lcd has only about 256K colours available directly and not that high (320x240) resolution so it's more visible. In a reality lcd screens have even less than 256K colours and they "simulating" them using time modulation of pixels (blinking them very fast).

Summing it up - lcd will not be ideal (even my desktop monitor isn't) but can be tweaked to good effect. For now the standard setting in the firmware are just crap. Thanks to the lcdtweaker it can be improved manually.

Skitzo posted on Dec 30 2005 at 06:57 AM said:
I use 1 or 2 on UPLL. Hopefully the next version of the firmware or of the tweaker will make the changes load from boot, but for now it's not too bad running the app every time I start up my unit.

Hopefully so... and the global volume level, the brightness/contrast of screen, the tweaking of stick, better explorer, more video codecs supported, etc.

rkenshin posted on Dec 30 2005 at 12:33 AM said:
I heard 266mhz is the actual clockspeed of the CPU and not 200mhz (as advertised)?

Is that really true?

that's the cpu's nominal frequency, but the GP2X's frequency is 200 for power saving reasons ;)

You can start the LCD-Tweaker from boot.

copy the cpu_speed.gpe to your SD-Card (e.g. to the root-folder)
Start Sterm.
type: cp /etc/profile /mnt/sd/profile
now turn of the gp2x and edit the profile-file with a text-editor (NOT M$ NOTEPAD).
Scroll down to the end of the file and add the cpu_speed.gpe. The modified part has to look like this:
Code:
rm /mnt/sd/gp2xfile.img

sync

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 -2

cd /usr/gp2x
./gp2xmenu

You can add a default cpu-frequency too ... just add your favorite one after the lcd-prescaler (the -2). The first parameter sets the clockgen (0 = fpll, 1 = upll).

Save and start the gp2x.
start sterm
type: cp /mnt/sd/profile /etc/profile

done

NOTE: you can brick your GP2X with this ... e.g. when you use M$ Notepad

Back