Launch Games/apps Via Command Line

Slaymetender

Still Fresh
Hello, I've written my own front end for my standup MAME machine, and would like to do the same for the Wiz/Canoo. Are we able to launch our apps and games via command line on this platform? If yes, can somebody point me in the direction of the docs for it, even if it's just a read me file?

Thanks.

Slaymetender

Slaymetender said:
Hello, I've written my own front end for my standup MAME machine, and would like to do the same for the Wiz/Canoo. Are we able to launch our apps and games via command line on this platform? If yes, can somebody point me in the direction of the docs for it, even if it's just a read me file?

Thanks.

Slaymetender

you can launch over serial or ssh

Last edited by a moderator:
How exactly are you starting MAME in your frontend right now?

The problem with the Wiz is that only one "graphical" application can be active at any given time, since there is no windowing system.

This is how them system menu does it: It terminates itself and starts the selected application. It is then the application's reponsibility to bring up the system
menu again after it is finished.

You can implement something like this yourself:

Code:
/* launcher.c, compiles to "launcher" */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
  if( argc != 1 ) {

printf("Back in launcher, quitting...\n");
    return 0;
  }

printf("Launcher started, launching app...\n");

/* Run wrapper script that executes the "app", and then brings the launcher back up. */
  execl( "/bin/sh", "/bin/sh", "-c", "echo 'App running...'; exec ./launcher 123" );

return 0; // Never reached...
}

reading the last reply I developed an frontend that can launch other apps with flags. It runs on wiz/caanoo.
http://pandorawiki.org/PickleLauncher

Pickle said:
reading the last reply I developed an frontend that can launch other apps with flags. It runs on wiz/caanoo.
http://pandorawiki.org/PickleLauncher

That reads like you developed PickleLauncher only after reading my reply, which would make you the world's fastest coder :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote my front end in Flash. It has a UI that sends a different command for each game. I was hoping I could write a similar port for the Wiz since it can also play Flash games.

Barry

Hmm, it might be tricky to pull this of in Flash. I don't know how much is known about the Wiz Flash Player and what it can and can't do...

Back