Laptop Processor Help...

satanic virus

Website
Visit site
Hi,

I want to replace my laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a Intel 1.86Ghz (T2130) processor, 2GB of RAM and a 160 GB HD (integrated intel graphics).

Don't ask what speed HD or type of processor etc as I don't know! I just know it came our pre 'dual prcessor' etc days)

I have seen a nice Studio 17 Dell Laptop which has an Intel duo core processor around 2.4ghz, 4GM RAM, 500GB HD (7200) and one of the ATI 1GB graphic cards.

The graphics card, RAM and HD seem very nice to me. However, I don't get the whole processor thing. I have options varying from around (not bothering to google to check right now) 2.1 to 3.2 (with acceleration) ghz. They also offer various RAM Caches whatever they are from about 2MB to 6MB.

Just typing from memory so probably got the facts wrong, but going from 1.8ghz to 2.4 does not seem like a huge leap after a few years. Does the dual processor idea literally double the speed? Also, what does the cache do as it has a huge impact on price! Can anyone tell me what a dual processor 2.4ghz with say 3MB cache means equivalent to my current single core processor?

I wont be looking to play the latest PC Games on it. I just know Doom 3 just about ran on my current laptop with all the settings turned off, but was pretty unplayable. If I could get up to maybe half life 2 running on new laptop decent I'd be happy as I dont get much time these days for new games (and I have plenty of old consoles with unplayed games to catch up on!)

Sorry for such a basic question around these parts, but any advice on PC processors appreciated. My budget is reasonable but not top of the range!

Cheers, SV.

sataniC Virus said:
Hi,

I want to replace my laptop. It is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a Intel 1.86Ghz (T2130) processor, 2GB of RAM and a 160 GB HD (integrated intel graphics).

Don't ask what speed HD or type of processor etc as I don't know! I just know it came our pre 'dual prcessor' etc days)

I have seen a nice Studio 17 Dell Laptop which has an Intel duo core processor around 2.4ghz, 4GM RAM, 500GB HD (7200) and one of the ATI 1GB graphic cards.

The graphics card, RAM and HD seem very nice to me. However, I don't get the whole processor thing. I have options varying from around (not bothering to google to check right now) 2.1 to 3.2 (with acceleration) ghz. They also offer various RAM Caches whatever they are from about 2MB to 6MB.

Just typing from memory so probably got the facts wrong, but going from 1.8ghz to 2.4 does not seem like a huge leap after a few years. Does the dual processor idea literally double the speed? Also, what does the cache do as it has a huge impact on price! Can anyone tell me what a dual processor 2.4ghz with say 3MB cache means equivalent to my current single core processor?

I wont be looking to play the latest PC Games on it. I just know Doom 3 just about ran on my current laptop with all the settings turned off, but was pretty unplayable. If I could get up to maybe half life 2 running on new laptop decent I'd be happy as I dont get much time these days for new games (and I have plenty of old consoles with unplayed games to catch up on!)

Sorry for such a basic question around these parts, but any advice on PC processors appreciated. My budget is reasonable but not top of the range!

Cheers, SV.

dual/tri/quad processor does not mean speed will double/triple/quadruple. It really depends on the app you run and if it how it using multi-threading. Most games are single threads. Repeatable tasks like video/audio/file encoded and decoding benefit from multicores/threading.
Cache usually the larger the better, its a means of keeping some data "closer" to the processor if it needs it, basically it has "faster" access than the system memory. But really a mute issue I think your case.

Actually your processor wasnt the bottleneck in your current laptop it was the intel graphics. I wouldnt worry so much about the processor if you not into gaming, any recent will work fine.
If you want better gaming stay away from the intergrated graphics and go for discrete graphics, the ATI gfs's you mentioned should fine.

If you really want to compare cpus check out tomshardware, they have a pretty complete list of cpus (although might not include mobiles)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very helpful Pickle - many thanks :)

I have a few games bought in packages from Steam and GOG which I can't currently play on my current setup. These include Doom 3, Project Snowblind and one of the more recent Tomb Raider Games. I'm not a 'current gamer' as you might tell but I'd like to play at some stage what I have already bought!

Sounds like I'll be ok with the Dell Studio 17 with the ATI 1GB card. I'll check out that processor comparison website though before making my final decision!

The extra processor cache really costs a lot more money, so if it is not that useful for gaming (in the brand new sense) I think I'll go for a more moderate one!

Thanks again for your help :)

sataniC Virus said:
It is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a Intel 1.86Ghz (T2130) processor, 2GB of RAM and a 160 GB HD (integrated intel graphics).

Funny shit this. Hilarious really. I know thats probably not what you intended, but it still cracks me up. The T2130 is a dual core CPU. Yonah core. Going from it, to a "unspecified 2.4GHz'ish Core Duo" chip, isn't going to be a whole lot of bang for your buck. (The T2130 IS a Core Duo family member. It's just not labeled "Core Duo" as it pulls to much juice, needing 31 watts. So the only difference will be a 600Mhz upgrade, 1 MB more cache on the CPU, and 6watts less power-drain. Save your money for a different laptop...)

Pickle said:
Most games are single threads.
"Most" newer games are at least strung over 2 threads. But i do agree, the major limiting factor with the old laptop is most likely the Intel graphics chip, without dedicated memory.

sataniC Virus said:
The extra processor cache really costs a lot more money, so if it is not that useful for gaming (in the brand new sense) I think I'll go for a more moderate one!
The CPU's with "a lot more" cache are different generations then your's, and the CPU you claim the other laptop you've been looking at are equipped with. The cache size alone isn't a huge difference, but the jump ahead in generations will get you a much more reasonable graphics chip, and a clock for clock faster CPU, meaning a CPU at a slower frequency may very well be faster... Unlike the listed alternatives, that is.
B!

Alright thanks for replys - no intentional laughs intended :rolleyes:

Here is a link to system I am looking at without the extra options I want (such as a mouse, Office Pro etc): http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=NRS17504&l=en&m_30=321942&oc=N0076409&rbc=N0076409&s=dhs

Mr B I dont have a clue over processors since the original Pentium, and even then I am more comfortable talking about 486, 386, & 286 tbh!!

Thanks for letting me know my current cpu is actually dual processor. The new Studio 17 is dual processor with various amounts of cache and speed - all i want is something that will let me play PC games from around 3/4 years ago.

Emulation wise my current setup lets me play N64 no probs. I don't intend trying to emulate anything past that.

All things considered and with replies so far I think the Dell Studio is ok for me. Wont be buying for a few weeks and because I am not very good at upgrading computers I think i'll go for this one (it's at the maximum of my budget range!)

Cheers, SV

In case anyone else notices this, I've found notebookcheck.net to be a very good site for reviews and comparisons.

1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5450? That video card is not very fast. More of a entry-class / budget choice. Should be enough to run most recent games on full, but not for long.

Check out this ranking: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html
The Mobility Radeon 5450 has about the same performance as a 4570, but with double the VRAM and of course Directx 11 support (though games that really utilise Directx 11 probably won't run very well)

I happen to have a Mobility Radeon 4570 in my 400€€ ASUS i bought this spring and believe you me, if i had a budget of 800€€ i would have taken something far better.

With your budget of ~800€€ i would get a Dell Studio 1749 which comes with a Mobility Radeon HD 5650. I configured one for ya: http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...en&m_30=321942&oc=N0074901&rbc=N0074901&s=dhs
That thing is going to perform way better in games than the one you posted.

Granted, Half Life 2 is going to run just fine on your proposed system but you never know when you stumble upon a new interesting game and you want to be prepared for that.

sataniC Virus said:
Thanks for letting me know my current cpu is actually dual processor. The new Studio 17 is dual processor with various amounts of cache and speed - all i want is something that will let me play PC games from around 3/4 years ago.
The new laptop is indeed equipped with a later generation CPU, it's not a "Core Duo" (Yonah) but rather a i5, Arrandale, a Westmere sibling. It's a "bit" faster. Quite a bit really. Do remember tho, Turbo-Boost only happens when one core idles on this CPU. If you got 25% load on one core, and 100% on the other, it stays at it's 2.4GHz top speed.

I cant find specs for the ATi Radeon mobility 5450 & 5650 cards, but if they are related to the none "mobility" parts Fishbong is right. I would get the same CPU with his configuration tho, the i3 lacks Turbo-Boost, VT-d, TXT (Trusted Execution Technology) and the new AES, compared to the i5-520m. (Clock for clock they are as fast, they are both Arrandale core based.)
For gaming, graphics WILL be the more limiting factor, so even if your quite pleased with the first option "right now" there just might be something that makes you want to play a new game by fall, and at that point the more capable chip is going to be required.
B!

Mr B said:
I cant find specs for the ATi Radeon mobility 5450 & 5650 cards
They can be found in the ranking i posted a link to.

To break it down, they have the same clockspeed and memory clock, but the 5650 has 400 shader pipelines whereas the 5450 only has 80. This means a huge difference in 3d performance.

EDIT: oh, and i also believe the 5650 has a GPU that is automatically clocked down to save power, so that's a bonus uf you plan to use it on the go a lot.

Don't know quite how i could miss that link.
But with spec's in hand it's fairly easy to say that the 5650 chip is going to have a fair bit more power as you said, (and as i unseen agreed with. ;-) as it has 2x the memory bandwidth, aswell as the much needed shader performance.
Just looking at specs, the 5450 was never intended for gaming, don't get it if you intend to play anything else then emulators.
B!

Many thanks folks,

Always nice to get educated responses from a community who is willing to share their knowledge.

Thanks Fishbong especially for the configure link. Yeah you are right I should future proof a bit considering the next laptop will be with me for next 4-5 years at least. I never knew there were such differences in 1GB graphic cards! Considering I have an integrated (around 64MB) Intel graphics at the moment I just thought all 1GB cards were the same!)

I'll actually be using your configure link as a starting point. I'm selling some stuff on Irish auction sites at the moment and hope to have enough to increase RAM to 4GB, get a true HD display and 9 cell battery in a couple of weeks (that brings the price up to around €1,000). Expensive, but it is a full replacement for what I have (and I will be selling my 6400 laptop immediately after, hopefully for a couple of hundred bucks!). I'm selling an xbox, ps2, GC, games, magazines etc, so should reach my target soon. If so, I'll be getting this in August and can't wait!! :)

Thanks again all :)

The question is, what screen size are you going for? You can run Half Life 2 decently well on 12" EeePCs these days (thanks to nVidia's Ion) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edJAwvCcJj0)

So, what form factor are you looking for? 12", 14", 17"? Is this for home or travel? Sorry if you mentioned this in your thread previously, I was a bit hasty and didn't feel like wading through everything.

sataniC Virus said:
I never knew there were such differences in 1GB graphic cards! Considering I have an integrated (around 64MB) Intel graphics at the moment I just thought all 1GB cards were the same!)
The belief that the amount of video memory gives an indication to the card's performance is not only a widespread misconception. I believe it is also the reason those entry level cards are being given lots of memory when in reality they can't really make use of it with their low memory bandwidth. It's all marketing.

EDIT: Oh, i just saw that the config link didn't work as i intended to, it just lists the standard components. I'm sure that won't cause you any problems though. ;)

Fishbong said:
sataniC Virus said:
I never knew there were such differences in 1GB graphic cards! Considering I have an integrated (around 64MB) Intel graphics at the moment I just thought all 1GB cards were the same!)
The belief that the amount of video memory gives an indication to the card's performance is not only a widespread misconception. I believe it is also the reason those entry level cards are being given lots of memory when in reality they can't really make use of it with their low memory bandwidth. It's all marketing.

EDIT: Oh, i just saw that the config link didn't work as i intended to, it just lists the standard components. I'm sure that won't cause you any problems though. ;)

Thanks FB - I noticed the config link was the standard system with no extra's! I now know there is a big difference with GPU's and appreciate the help :)

I have at last bought the laptop - spent a lot more than I was planning for and put it on the credit card!! System details are below. Thanks for the info above, I went for a 5650 in the end (along with most of the extra's kindly provided by Dell!!). Should arrive in a few days ... can't wait :) I'll be paying for this for a while to come but ah well.. should be worth it!!

Studio 17(N0074905)
Intel® Core™ i7-620M (2.66Ghz, 4 Thread, turbo boost up to 3.33 GHz, 4MB cache), Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64bit- English
€ 1,417.53
€ 1,417.53

Item
Description

Base
Intel® Core™ i7-620M (2.66Ghz, 4 Thread, turbo boost up to 3.33 GHz, 4MB cache)

Memory
4096MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

Keyboard
Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Backlit Keyboard

Video Card
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5650 Graphics Card

Hard Drive
500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

Microsoft Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate 64bit- English

Optical Devices
DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with DVD Burn software

Wireless Networking
Intel® Wireless LAN 6200 2x2 802.11a/b/g/n card (EUR)

Cables
1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK

Shipping Documents
English Documentation

Gedis Bundle Reference
N0874905

Standard Warranty
1 year Collect & Return Hardware Support included with your PC

Services and Support
1 year of coverage included with your PC

PalmRest
Silver chainlink palm rest – with Black Chainlink cover only

Bluetooth
Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module - European

Order Information
Studio 1749 Order - Ireland

Primary Battery
Primary 9-cell 85 WHr Lithium Ion battery

Carrying Cases
No Carrying Case

Dell Dock
Dell Dock

Dell System Media Kit
Studio 1749 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)

Camera
2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera

Colour Choice
Black chainlink

Accidental Damage Support
No Accidental Damage Support

Online Backup
No DataSafe Online Backup 2GB (Direct)

Theft Protection Solution
Computrace LoJack for Laptops, 1yr license - included with your PC

Labels
Wireless Label CI7

LCD
17.3" Full High Definition (1920x1080) LED with TL

DataSafe (Services Owned)
Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic

Microsoft Application Software
English Microsoft® Office Home and Business 2010 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, One Note)

Protect your new PC
McAfee® SecurityCenter 15 Month Subscription

Power Supply
90W AC Adaptor

Operating System Recovery Options
OS Media MUI Windows® 7 Ultimate (64 BIT) Resource DVD

Logitech G500 Full Speed USB Laser Gaming Mouse
€ 37.18
€ 37.18

Total excl. VAT VAT Rate VAT Total incl. VAT
Sub-total(s): € 1,454.71 21.00% € 305.49 € 1,760.20
Delivery Charge: € 24.79 21.00% € 5.21 € 30.00
Total Price: € 1,479.50 € 310.70 € 1,790.20

Oh no, that one is rubbish.

Actually. The only thing i find worth even rising an eyebrow over is the 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
It would probably have been cheaper, and would have got you a better camera if you bought one of those PlayStation cameras...
It will do fine, I'm sure.
B!

Cheers Mr B - the web cam came 'as standard' with Dell .. Would have preferred not to have one at all tbh!

Have some friends in Australia, Hong Kong and London so might get some use out of it :)

Thanks for your technical answers previously :)

Looks like a pretty pimped out laptop you're getting there mate. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it!

Back