Laptop Help

MonkeyChops

NO! I don't play basketball
I'm thinking of getting one of these:
hp-touchsmart-tx2z-laptop.jpg

setup like this:
Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
Processor: AMD Turion(TM) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile Processor ZM-87 (2.4GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)
Memory: 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Hard drive: 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Graphics card: ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics with 64MB Display Cache Memory
Display: 12.1" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP LED Widescreen (1280x800) with Integrated Touch-screen
Optical drive: LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support
Personalization: Webcam Only with HP Imprint Finish (Reaction)
Networking: Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
Keyboard: HP Color Matching Keyboard
Primary battery: 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
$1088.99

I would upgrade the ram and harddrive at a later date when I have more money.

This is one of those tablet pc's with a multi touch screen. It looks sweet to me, I hate clit mice and touch pads. It would be an everyday computer for me. I'd use it for everything. I'm thinking it would be great for autocad which I use quite often at work and otherwise. You can use your finger or included digital pen.

I'd also like to get into some more video game friendly graphics programs (haven't touched them in years). What do you guys think? Would this be a good computer for that?

Does anyone here have one or use something similar for graphics?

Is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance for the input, I'm ready to buy a laptop of some kind and I value the opinion of (most of) the members here.

The graphics card might not be enough for you rneeds due to the rather limited amount of video memory (you'd need more video memory if you want to use graphics-heavy programs such as modelers or Photoshop-like applications)

Otherwise, I've got nothing to complain about. It's not a great deal, but not a bad one either.

It's a decent PC, like dflemstr said it's a little short on video ram, but if it can use shared system ram you should be fine. Otherwise, it looks like it'll get the job done the best a tablet PC could.

Peter R said:
Why would you want more RAM anyway?
why not? I always heard vista was a ram hog, don't know about 7 but I was always under the impression, the more ram the merrier. I want it to be as fast as possible. I do like to multi-task after all. ;)

Thanks for the input everyone. About the video memory, I was reading that the ZM-87 has some qualities that make ram sharing to video cards faster. Not sure how much truth there is to that but the ZM-87 was an upgrade from the ZM-86 and it doesn't have any more Hz or cache. So something is different about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
MonkeyChops said:
Peter R said:
Why would you want more RAM anyway?
why not? I always heard vista was a ram hog, don't know about 7 but I was always under the impression, the more ram the merrier. I want it to be as fast as possible. I do like to multi-task after all. ;)

Thanks for the input everyone. About the video memory, I was reading that the ZM-87 has some qualities that make ram sharing to video cards faster. Not sure how much truth there is to that but the ZM-87 was an upgrade from the ZM-86 and it doesn't have any more Hz or cache. So something is different about it.
Shared memory is never particularily fast, but if you're going to do graphics work and CGI, and not as much games or soemsuch, it shouldn't be an issue.

tim0391 said:
You wont need anymore ram. Spend the money on a better graphics card.

I defiantly would upgrade the graphics if possible. They don't offer a better card to upgrade to, does anyone know if its possible to upgrade it after the fact? I read that some laptop cards can't be upgraded.

update: new coupon (NZR91524) takes 200 off price. Now its $839, that makes it a fairly good deal, I'd say.

MonkeyChops said:
does anyone know if its possible to upgrade it after the fact? I read that some laptop cards can't be upgraded.

Not unless you're handy with the soldering iron. Unless a laptop specifically says that it has an upgradable graphics card, or some else has done it, just assume that it isn't. Unfortunately that's how it is with lappys :(

It's a decently specced laptop as it is though, especially for the price so I'd just go for it. I'd not bother upgrading the RAM, there's more than enough included now. If possible though (and if it's not going to be your main PC), I would consider going for solid state drives. I'd also try to go with a glossy screen if it's available.

Back