Konix emulator released!!!

Stainy

Advanced Member
Wow!! Didn't ever see this coming... Over at konixmultisystem.co.uk an emulator has been released that plays two games..

I wonder if there's a linux build or it could be built.. I have emailed them to see...

This looks promising..

"Yes, there will be a Linux port in a while. The Emulator programmer is very busy at his day job at the moment, so development is only happening on weekends, but it was always the intention to have a Mac and Linux port.

The project will eventually become open source too so people can adapt it how they like.

Best Regards,

Mark."

Wow that's pretty cool, I was reading about this system the other day in Retro Gamer.

Looking through the readme file included with the emulator the author does mention releasing the source once the emulation is more complete. Maybe we could see a Pandora port sometime in the not too distant future.

Heh. Emulating a never-released gaming console on a system that has been considered as vapourware itself for quite a long time sounds like fun :D

The guy on that site has two dev konix systems and has just been contacted by someone who has one of the power chairs!

i remember being so excited about the Konix Multisystem back in the day, shame it never occured. while i doubt it would have been a success due to the eventual price it would still have been nice to see. I'd also add here that Konix made THE best joystick of the 8bit era.

72f97e09-a733-422a-9917-fbad592d33bd.jpg

Edit: MODS - Please move this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's me, but I'm not sure where the idea that I have 2 dev kits comes from...

I'm sure a Pandora port will be possible, people are reporting that it runs fine in wine. A linux build will come along much quicker than my TV Out cable ;)

[is everyone else getting a strange images.cheeseburger certificate error when loading this thread?]

[is everyone else getting a strange images.cheeseburger certificate error when loading this thread?]

+1 (it's the image posted by ParadisoShlee... I can't see it cause I refused the certificate)

Anyway, I'm curious to know about this system, never heard of it before, looking forward for for the emu

For a time the Konix system was a regular story in one of those bygone weekly magazines - 'Popular computing weekly' I think it was. It was the motorised chair that really got people worked up back then, the graphics could have been like a digital watch and nobody would have cared if they were being promised a chair like that.

I think the disappointment lingered long enough for Sega to bring out their 'Action Chair' Joystick seat - I still have one! Using it always brings to mind the fevered anticipation of the hulking great Konix seat that never turned up. Probably just as well, I reckon fngers would have got lost in it's mechanism, and monitors would have come flying off in all directions.

Hummmm....but what SYSTEM does it "EMULATE?" I mean, does it take MAME, or what? You see what I mean?

It would seem Konix was a SYSTEM in and of itself...but since it was never released...where would you get the games for it?

The video looked nice, looked like good 16-bit stuff...I'd be interested in some of this. But, again, where would you be getting ROMS for a non-existent system?

Another thing I came across in reading about this was Atari Jaguar, which I'd actually never heard of. any chance of getting a Pandy emulator on that?

Hummmm....but what SYSTEM does it "EMULATE?" I mean, does it take MAME, or what? You see what I mean?

It would seem Konix was a SYSTEM in and of itself...but since it was never released...where would you get the games for it?

The video looked nice, looked like good 16-bit stuff...I'd be interested in some of this. But, again, where would you be getting ROMS for a non-existent system?

Another thing I came across in reading about this was Atari Jaguar, which I'd actually never heard of. any chance of getting a Pandy emulator on that?

The emulator emulates the Konix system itself (like a MegaDrive emulator emulates a MegaDrive).

Although the system never made it to market, some commercial games were being written for it (including things like James Pond 2 - Robocod) and several were in a near state of completion. Some of the authors of those near complete games have offered what they have to the emu dev and that's what you can download and run.

It's not intended to be for anything other than showing what might have been had the system actually been released. I was really looking forward to the system back in the day. It was a shame that it crashed and burned the way it did (read the whole story about its development) and it could have changed the industry. So basically it's just a slice of gaming history that's been hidden away and forgotten for the last 30 years.

There is one:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=vj-ex-app

Don't expect miracles from it though.

It was a pretty big deal in it's day, but there was a lot of competition, some of it's games were underwhelming, PC gaming was gaining ground and the Playstation was just around the corner...

I loved my Jag. Tempest 2000, Doom, Theme Park and AvP were excellent games. The controller wasn't as bad as many say it is (it's not great, but it's not awful and complimented numerous games).

Back