Kof 2003 - No Sound And Slow Performance

kilfeather94

Still Fresh
Help, when I first tried out KOF 2003 on my caanoo, the sound worked fine. The next time I tried it, there was no sound at all and has been like this since. the game is now starting to become very slow and jerky for some reason. I even re-downloaded the rom off a different website but still no difference..

kilfeather94 said:
Help, when I first tried out KOF 2003 on my caanoo, the sound worked fine. The next time I tried it, there was no sound at all and has been like this since. the game is now starting to become very slow and jerky for some reason. I even re-downloaded the rom off a different website but still no difference..

I'm having the same problem...it even just crashed when I tried to Exit out of the game. weird

Last edited by a moderator:
kilfeather94 said:

So I tested King of Fighters 2000, 01', 02', 03', and 04'...

On my Caanoo, 2000 didn't work at all, 01 and 02 had garbled sound, 03' had no sound, and 04 worked.

I downloaded some different neogeo bios files and also, GnGeo 0.7, put them all in there and the only difference is now 01 and 02 sound works great now. I'm confused

Last edited by a moderator:
KOF 2003 works fine for me, here the correct ROM files (CRCs):

kof2003rom.jpg

I don't remember which ROM version it is and whether some files had to be decrypted.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Regarding Neo Geo ROM and .rc files. Since this not a self-explanatory topic, here a simple example for better understanding how to create your own ROMs.

.rc files should not be changed, if not absolutely necessary. The .rc file describes the file names and sizes, actually what the emulator expects. According to this information, the ROM must be created using the correct files for the specific ROM version. This can be pretty hard for some games (e.g. files from different ROM versions and/or decrypting files using WinKawaks).

For a simple example, I created a GnGeo KOF 97 Plus ROM from the WinKawaks 1.61 ROM(s).

Comparing the GnGeo kof97.rc and kof97pls.rc files shows the following differences:

kof97kof97plsrccompare.jpg

The 68k program (p1,p2) and text layer (s1) files have different names, so these are most likely different files.

The WinKawaks KOF 97 and KOF 97 Plus ROMs look like this:

kof97kof97plsrommarked.jpg

The size of the 68k program and text layer files is the same, but not the name and content (different CRCs).

In this case, it seems the files from the two ROMs can be merged and renamed according to the .rc file:

kof97plsrommarked.jpg

That's it. A KOF 97 Plus ROM for GnGeo has been created and the emulator's .rc file remains unchanged.

Thanks for explaining how to do this. This is what i did to get KOF97 Plus to run. I've pretty much looked at all of the other romsets for King Of Fighters, and was able to build a few that would just lock-up after the rom loading screen...and I will get a black screen. For example, King Of Fighters 2000 ( Bootleg Set 1, and 2 )

Back