Kleincraft

hmn

Note: This is not a game, just a little experiment/prototype...

A while ago I worked on a little Minecraft-style prototype for the Wiz. I have not really worked on it in a year, but I thought I'd post it anyway...

All you can do is fly around and remove/set blocks.

There are two launch scripts in the archive:
  • kleincraft0x40.gpe (small map)
  • kleincraft0x80.gpe (larger map, takes much longer to start)

Controls:
  • LEFT/RIGHT: Turn left/right
  • UP/DOWN: Move forward/backwards
  • SELECT + LEFT/RIGHT: Strafe left/right
  • SELECT + UP/DOWN: Look down/up
  • A: Set block
  • X: Remove block
  • MENU + SELECT: Quit

screenshot001dl.png

Kleincraft v0.0.1 for Wiz
Source code v0.0.1

The name is a pun btw: "klein" is German for "small" ;-)

Last edited:
a caanoo port of such would be nice!
congrats on the project...there can never be enough square sandbox games :)

Caanoo binary v.0.0.1, completely untested, use the Wiz release and replace the binary in it to see if it works ;-)

Controls are the same, except that "Help 1" + "Help 2" is QUIT, and "Home" acts as SELECT...

Edit: Also pushed the code up here.

Last edited:
EXL said:
Hi! You can share Kleincraft compiled for Linux?
Here you go :)

Edit: PC Controls:
  • LEFT/RIGHT: Turn left/right
  • UP/DOWN: Move forward/backward
  • SPACE/X: Place/remove block
  • ALT + LEFT/RIGHT: Strafe left/right
  • ALT + UP/DOWN: Move up/down
  • PGUP/PGDOWN: Look down/up
  • PLUS/MINUS: Increase/decrease viewing depth

BTW, can someone tell me if the Caanoo build works at all?

Last edited:
I gave it a try and it quickly exits back to the main menu. Had to make an ini for it but no luck with either gpe file.

Are you planning to take this any further? A good Minecraft clone would be great to have on the Wiz/Caanoo!

Orion4874 said:
I gave it a try and it quickly exits back to the main menu. Had to make an ini for it but no luck with either gpe file.
Could you try this modified gpe and post/pm the log.txt it generates?

Orion4874 said:
Are you planning to take this any further? A good Minecraft clone would be great to have on the Wiz/Caanoo!
At the moment I really don't have a plan to make this into a full game. There are some technical/conceptual issues to be
solved first.

The performance is still too slow by an order of magnitude... ~10 FPS with 32 units rendering depth - and that
does not even include lighting.

It might be an option to keep the game strictly underground (mining, cave exploring), so the viewing depth
would not matter that much...

Another issues are the controls. I think it would be tough to make a game like this fun without mouse or dual analog controls.

Last edited:
hmn said:
Another issues are the controls. I think it would be tough to make a game like this fun without mouse or dual analog controls.

touchscreen would work ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you go hmn!

Code:
-- START --
./kleincraft-stripped: /lib/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./libpng12.so.0)
./kleincraft-stripped: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.1.3' not found (required by ./libpng12.so.0)
./kleincraft-stripped: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./libpng12.so.0)

The touchscreen is a good idea. Have you seen Minecraft DS, http://smealum.net/dscraft/
It utilizes the touchscreen of the NDS and is actually a pretty amazing Mincraft clone.

Orion4874 said:
Code:
-- START --
./kleincraft-stripped: /lib/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./libpng12.so.0)
./kleincraft-stripped: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.1.3' not found (required by ./libpng12.so.0)
./kleincraft-stripped: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.0' not found (required by ./libpng12.so.0)
Ah, you need to remove libpng12.so.0 from the folder.

Orion4874 said:
The touchscreen is a good idea. Have you seen Minecraft DS, http://smealum.net/dscraft/
It utilizes the touchscreen of the NDS and is actually a pretty amazing Mincraft clone.
Wow, that's pretty impressive indeed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, the game starts now but it seems the controls are reversed. Up/Down moves left/right & Left/Right moves up/down/forward/backward. Maybe an issue with the analog, instead of a dpad being used?
Also, there's no way to exit the game. The home button is usually used on the Caanoo as opposed to the button combo on the Wiz.

Did some experiments with VBOs... but with rather disapointing results so far.

I get exactly the same frame rate on the Wiz with VBOs as with "normal" vertex arrays... and on PC it is even 100FPS slower with VBOs!

I don't know if I'm doing it wrong. I bind the VBO once per frame and then render every cube with
Code:
glPushMatrix();                                                                                       
glTranslatef(...);                                                               
glDrawArrays(...);
glPopMatrix();
The VBO consist of a unit cube made up of 12 triangles, vertex and tex coords interleaved.

There seems to be a bug though, I get the message "*E: 1D Memory allocation is failed" after a while on the Wiz...

For reference, the vertex array version just batches all the verts/tex coords plus normals and gets the same performance... no matrix manipulation though.

Last edited:
just looked at the source and it doesnt seem to be wrong.

the only idea i have is that interleaving the vertex and texcoord array decreases performance. i usually have 2 separate arrays for vertex and texcoord data and i was seeing a speed increase on the wiz using that method for audiorace.

Just a recommendation but If you have ever played quake arena or anything of that sort on the dreamcast you could always use that control format

use the analog stick to look around and use the buttons x,y,a,b to move back and forth

I don't know if the wiz has trigger buttons but on the caanoo you could use them to place and break stuff
and as far as menu you could have a button in the corner of the screen that you can tap to open the menu.

I´d wish this project would develop further.

That DS version posted up there looks great on its pixels.
I could help try running on the caanoo, but my first attempts didn´t work and I think I´m too dumb to figure out why.

Back