Kde On Arm!

lulzfish said:
Well, of course it's possible.
But KDE 4 is not known for being a lightweight desktop environment, so for a device with 256MB of RAM, most people aren't considering it seriously.

I think I'll backup some of the other comments following this one. I have an old laptop (P266, I think) which originally had 48MB RAM. Linux and X11 installed fine on this, and I think even KDE3 ran, though it wasn't really usable (it was heavily into swap). But when I upgraded this bad boy to 96MB of pure SODIMM love, it could run without needing swap with KDE loaded up and one or two carefully chosen KDE apps running. The impression I get is that KDE4 is not *that* much higher in footprint, as many of the feature adds are offset by Qt4.x being more tightly put together than Qt3.x.

Damnit. Now I have to hunt down that laptop and install the latest Mandriva on it. Screw you guys, I was already busy as it was! >:|

Edit: You're right, though: Most people *aren't* considering it seriously. But I think it could potentially do some great things if, one day, it could run real friendly-like with OGLES (or regular OGL came to Pandora, as I vaguely recall had been brought up as a potentiality) taken advantage of and certain aspects of its modular design disabled. And then maybe it could also run that not bad at all PIM package KDE has. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, xfce is the current target with E17 as fallback.

I forget if QT libs are in the target image build, but I'll find out. We want lots of libs in there of course, to make porting easier and less load on the .pnd's.

jeff

skeezix said:
Yes, xfce is the current target with E17 as fallback.

I forget if QT libs are in the target image build, but I'll find out. We want lots of libs in there of course, to make porting easier and less load on the .pnd's.

jeff

Good good......
Also I know it's been asked in the development section if there's a list off what lib's are currently in the default image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back