Just sold Pandora to UK customer, does he have to pay custom fees?

rsuryase

I'm in the USA. Just sold 1 GHz Pandora to UK customer for $580 on ebay. What should I put in Country of Origin? USA or Germany? Does the UK customer have to pay custom fees? If so, how much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Country of Origin is Germany, as that is where it was made.

They will likely have to pay customs fees.  I sent a Gemei A330, used, and the custom fee was more than the gent paid for it.  I think I sold it for $40, and it was only worth $100 new. 

The Brits are tough on taxes, hence that Beatles song TaxMan.

Is there customs fees when Open Pandora mail units to USA customers? I paid $700 for mine, I don't remember paying any customs fees? I usually marked international shipments as gift but ebay said not to. I'm afraid if I marked as gift, the buyer may use it against me. I better follow ebay rules.

Is there customs fees when Open Pandora mail units to USA customers? I paid $700 for mine, I don't remember paying any customs fees? I usually marked international shipments as gift but ebay said not to. I'm afraid if I marked as gift, the buyer may use it against me. I better follow ebay rules.
Does it matter what ebay dont know wont hurt them whats it got to do with ebay how you ship it.

A lot of scammers on ebay. I'm afraid the buyer may use it against me when claiming for a refund, saying I lied on the customs form.

Any shipment into the EU from the USA (and vice versa) is potentially liable for tax or duty charges depending on the declared value, classification of goods and shipment method. Couriers are able to expedite shipping by virtue of arrangements with countries to automatically process this information, so shipping by UPS/DHL/FedEx etc is more likely to lead to extra charges, whereas regular mail carriers is more of a lottery - your item may pass unnoticed as they have no advance paperwork on the contents and rely on the declaration on the package (if they examine it at all).

Don't lie on the custom forms.

If he has to pay taxes he just does.

If you put a false declaration on the package, you might get yourself in trouble. In any case, the customs scan the goods and in doubt they will contact the reciever to provide them with further information about the package. According to http://www.dutycalculator.com/help_center/Import-duty-taxes-when-importing-into-the-United-Kingdom/ a Pandora is free of import duties being a computer/console. Maybe other duties do apply, I'm not sure. And on  http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/internet.htm you can see, that (even) for gifts with a value of £ 40 or more, the reciever has to pay 20% over it's value (and shipping/insurance costs). If the reciever doesn't pay the VAT/Duties, the package will be sent back to you after a few weeks.

If the Pandora is $ 580 and let's say shipping/insurance is $ 20, the reciever has to pay $ 120 VAT and probably about $ 15 extra administration costs (at least in the Netherlands).

If customs select your package for inspection & suspect the declaration on a (regular mail carrier) package is false, they can open it and once they identify the contents a quick google will tell them all they need to know.

Back