Just Got My First Omap 3Xxx Series Device

Phawx

Professional Derailer
It's the Samsung Omnia i8910. Records 720p video, beautiful 3.7" OLED display, very responsive and fluid operation, magnetometer, GPS (Captures sat info in like 4 seconds), I have it working with 3G in the NY area on ATT network. This OMAP 3xxx series is fantastic. More importantly is how well the virtual keyboard works. It easily trumps the iPhone in landscape typing. I can type just as well as a SideKick with the virtual keypad. It actually suprises me how well it works. Some things don't feel like they are fully optimized however, but the sheer brute force of the Cortex A8 is quite noticeable. They have one game that is operated through the built in accelerometer and I wish I had physical buttons like the Pandora, but it just feels so good to actually be making use of the OMAP 3 series, it's tided me over until the Pandora comes out. The OLED display is truly fantastic, I've shown it to a few people and it's seriously eye-popping. Anyway, I'm just stoked, this is the best cellphone I've ever owned. I miss the visual voicemail from the iPhone 3G and some of the aesthetics, but this new i8910 beats the iPhone 3GS is some areas as well.

Oh it also makes phone calls :).

Phawx said:
It's the Samsung Omnia i8910. Records 720p video, beautiful 3.7" OLED display, very responsive and fluid operation, magnetometer, GPS (Captures sat info in like 4 seconds), I have it working with 3G in the NY area on ATT network. This OMAP 3xxx series is fantastic. More importantly is how well the virtual keyboard works. It easily trumps the iPhone in landscape typing. I can type just as well as a SideKick with the virtual keypad. It actually suprises me how well it works. Some things don't feel like they are fully optimized however, but the sheer brute force of the Cortex A8 is quite noticeable. They have one game that is operated through the built in accelerometer and I wish I had physical buttons like the Pandora, but it just feels so good to actually be making use of the OMAP 3 series, it's tided me over until the Pandora comes out. The OLED display is truly fantastic, I've shown it to a few people and it's seriously eye-popping. Anyway, I'm just stoked, this is the best cellphone I've ever owned. I miss the visual voicemail from the iPhone 3G and some of the aesthetics, but this new i8910 beats the iPhone 3GS is some areas as well.

Oh it also makes phone calls :) .

AT&T in NY is on 1900? Lucky for you, I guess. I wish Samsung would bring over a few of its phones on 1900/850 so I could get them an use them on Rogers. Nokia does it!

Anyway, how is the picture quality? I've seen some pics on a few blogs, but I'm curious about real-world usage, both still pictures and video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
Phawx said:

Oh it also makes phone calls :) .

AT&T in NY is on 1900? Lucky for you, I guess. I wish Samsung would bring over a few of its phones on 1900/850 so I could get them an use them on Rogers. Nokia does it!

Anyway, how is the picture quality? I've seen some pics on a few blogs, but I'm curious about real-world usage, both still pictures and video.

Yea I actually get the 3G+ symbol so its for the 7.2Mbps HSPDA network.

I doubted OLED tech as a next generational step in display technology. But, When you are viewing material that can properly showcase the display, it is immediately noticeable how much better the PQ is. Seriously, my expectations were met with how much the blogs have been hyping the display. Seeing a *picture* of the i8910's OLED that is being displayed through whatever monitor you use to view the picture, doesn't do the screen justice. It can really only be witnessed in real life.

Watching the helicopter demo supplied with the phone really shows how fine the resolution is. The AMOLED display, when turned off, has a diamond-oid effect when you look at it in the light. It's actually kind of weird looking. I may be hyping the AMOLED screen a bit much, but you can only really witness it when its in front of you. I have a feeling, aside from the tearing problem, the Wiz must be very nice to look at.

Phawx said:
I doubted OLED tech as a next generational step in display technology. But, When you are viewing material that can properly showcase the display, it is immediately noticeable how much better the PQ is. Seriously, my expectations were met with how much the blogs have been hyping the display. Seeing a *picture* of the i8910's OLED that is being displayed through whatever monitor you use to view the picture, doesn't do the screen justice. It can really only be witnessed in real life.

Watching the helicopter demo supplied with the phone really shows how fine the resolution is. The AMOLED display, when turned off, has a diamond-oid effect when you look at it in the light. It's actually kind of weird looking. I may be hyping the AMOLED screen a bit much, but you can only really witness it when its in front of you. I have a feeling, aside from the tearing problem, the Wiz must be very nice to look at.

Yeah I think OLED is definetly the future at least for handheld devices. They trump LCD in almost every way except for lifespan but they have recently made some big improvements in OLED lifespan.

Seeing arcade games in MAME on the Wiz certainly looks much better than any LCD portable I have and you can rotate to play vertical games with no washing out and contrast shifting like LCDs do. I really wanted an OLED game player and the Wiz is the only one at the moment.

Um, you know that the iPhone has landscape typing for everything now, right?

Just saying...

@Nova

I'm aware. What I am saying obviously isn't fact. But for *me*, I can type WAY faster in landscape mode on the i8910 vs landscape mode on the iPhone3G.

On the iPhone 3G, in landscape I have to be very conscious as to where my fingers are to type with two thumbs. I haven't had that problem with the i8910.

It maybe because the screen is larger or the capcitive screen is strictly single-touch and nothing is getting goofed up when I have two fingers on it.

Or it could be the combination of both. This is the first time I was happy with how well a virtual keypad worked with thumb typing. So much so that I could see forgoing the use of a physical keypad and instead only having flip out game controls.

That would be the best phone for me. Hopefully Apple gets on the stick and releases an iPhone Game or something.

Phawx said:
@Nova

I'm aware. What I am saying obviously isn't fact. But for *me*, I can type WAY faster in landscape mode on the i8910 vs landscape mode on the iPhone3G.

On the iPhone 3G, in landscape I have to be very conscious as to where my fingers are to type with two thumbs. I haven't had that problem with the i8910.

It maybe because the screen is larger or the capcitive screen is strictly single-touch and nothing is getting goofed up when I have two fingers on it.

Or it could be the combination of both. This is the first time I was happy with how well a virtual keypad worked with thumb typing. So much so that I could see forgoing the use of a physical keypad and instead only having flip out game controls.

That would be the best phone for me. Hopefully Apple gets on the stick and releases an iPhone Game or something.

Yeah, or Craig gets busy with his iControlpad.

Back