Just Got A Gp2X - Game Files Won't Run

Pickngrin

Still Fresh
I just picked up a GP2X 100 this evening. I can get the built-in games to run, but when I try to run games I downloaded (and extracted to folders on the SD card), the screen quickly goes black and then returns to the main screen (shows the control pad with the + on the left). Am I doing something wrong here?
Thanks
PnG

what firmware do u have?
maybe the game needs some ibrary that doe not come with the GPH firmware.
try with picodrive, that should work with any firmware.

i still doesn't work i could be that the firmware got corrupted.(hapenned sometimes with firmwares from GPH)
but before reflashing the firmware and all that better try to see what does the serial console say. (if u have the cradle or a serial cable)

And which games are you trying?

greetings, Ziz

Ziz said:
And which games are you trying?

greetings, Ziz

The firmware is 4.1.0. I tried Asteroids, Wolfenstein 3D. I got "Abe" to run. I am now wondering if I was downloading incompatible programs. I also received the developer/breakout board with the unit, and when I plug the cable in the external slot of the GP2X, the screen dims and distorts. Do I need to simultaneously power the breakout board?
Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickngrin said:
The firmware is 4.1.0. I tried Asteroids, Wolfenstein 3D. I got "Abe" to run. I am now wondering if I was downloading incompatible programs.
Yeah, It's a shame, but some programs do not work with every firmware version. Just keep on trying different games and emulators.

I also received the developer/breakout board with the unit, and when I plug the cable in the external slot of the GP2X, the screen dims and distorts. Do I need to simultaneously power the breakout board?
I have the GP2X Cradle, which is the same I think. It depends on your power supply. If I use the AC Adapter I have no problems, but with batteries or accumulators, it could be, that it doesn't work, because they have not enough power. I would advise to use an external power supply.

Thanks again.
Np

greetings, Ziz

Last edited by a moderator:
i never had problems with the cradle on baterries(2000mAh sony cycle energy). maybe those are worned out.
and also doesn't wolftein 3D use SDL? u need to download the library if it doesn't come with the package.

anyway, i'd recomend u to get a little used to how it works, and the switch to open2X DR7 (firmware)
the original GPH firmware is old and outdated in everything.
Open2X is a frimware made by senorCuack(and others if there are) that supports both F100 and F200, it is faster to boot, has soft reset, and supports sdhc in the F100, overclock from the menu with individual settings for each game, some stuff about the internal audio amplifier and uses a modfied version of GMenu

plus a X-Server, more and better buildin applications and more modern libs (for the dynamic linked programs). Furthermore are open2x-only binaries smaller and at the moment I only provide builds for the open2x, because I have problem with the static linking of SDL_Mixer, but that doesn't matter.

t also comes with a hardware accelerated version of SDL, so some games will run faster with open2x than with the GPH firmware

I have to admit, a lot of what you folks said went over my head. Are you recommending that I upgrade to firmware open2X DR7? Do you have a link to clear instructions on how I would do that? Would that likely increase the amount of software that will run on my device?

http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,42,2751 for the F100 (yours is black isn't it?)

download, follow the instructions in the readme, be sure to use fully charged batteries that aren't very worned, or if you have the power adapter, much better. (be carefull with this, as with anything involving flashing somehing, if it powers down while writing, it may brick)
better use an empty card, to avoid mixing files.

the readme.txt is quite clear and easy, i don't think you could have any problem)

What does that mean?
Where do you need help?

It took me awhile to figure out how to navigate the main menu with the new firmware, and several of the games (eg, Wolfenstein) still won't run. One of the games, Abe, now causes the device to freeze. Is there a way to know which games will run, other than trial and error? I think this will make more sense when I have more than 1 or 2 programs that will run on the device. I downloaded BareFistFighter, which runs properly.
Also, my main motive was to use this as a DivX/media player by using the TV out feature. I do have the breakout board, but is it feasible to make a DIY TV cable (to avoid having to carry the breakout board)?

Back