Jumpty Skippy Xvid :-(

daveb

Still Fresh
Hi guys,

in the excitement of waiting for my GP2X to arrive, I thought I'd spend some CPU time encoding up some TV shows from DVD.

I hadn't found this forum and guide at the time, but I followed a nice and detailed tutorial for using Gordian Knot on Doom9. Anyway, I followed all the instructions except I went for 320x240 - (why eat up the batteries later doing scaling in realtime?). It took about 7 hours to 2-pass encode 1 DVD properly on my oldish PC!

The end result works fine on my PC, but the video gets stuck, skips, is generally a complete waste of space on the GPX2! I tried some DivX files I downloaded, and they work fine (well, some lip-sync issues after fast forwarding...)

I just skimmed through the guide on this forum and I don't see anything significantly different to what I did. Is there any particular pitfall I might have fallen down? New version of XVid unsupported? Anything?

I guess I could just follow this guide word-for-word next time, but I'm quite happy with the tools and method I was already using.. and it's a shame if I have to do it all again

Thanks for your help!

Hi guys,

in the excitement of waiting for my GP2X to arrive, I thought I'd spend some CPU time encoding up some TV shows from DVD.

I hadn't found this forum and guide at the time, but I followed a nice and detailed tutorial for using Gordian Knot on Doom9. Anyway, I followed all the instructions except I went for 320x240 - (why eat up the batteries later doing scaling in realtime?). It took about 7 hours to 2-pass encode 1 DVD properly on my oldish PC!

The end result works fine on my PC, but the video gets stuck, skips, is generally a complete waste of space on the GPX2! I tried some DivX files I downloaded, and they work fine (well, some lip-sync issues after fast forwarding...)

I just skimmed through the guide on this forum and I don't see anything significantly different to what I did. Is there any particular pitfall I might have fallen down? New version of XVid unsupported? Anything?

I guess I could just follow this guide word-for-word next time, but I'm quite happy with the tools and method I was already using.. and it's a shame if I have to do it all again

Thanks for your help!
Try one of 3 things:

1) If it says 'save' or 'normal' at the top of the movie player menu change it to 'full' I think you have to scroll through them using Y.

2) Lower your bitrate

3) Could be a B frame issue. Try disabling them or lowering them.

I have an xvid file up for downloud you can try http://archive.gptheatre.co.uk/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,19 try that on your gp2x.

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the advanced simple @ level 5 Xvid profile.
Disable Qpel.
Disable Global Motion Compensation.

You should be good to go (I'm glad you are doing things the proper way with Gordian Knot ;)).

I had a very similar problem a while ago.
I tried to encode a video with Virtual Dub that already was XviD just to change the res. The resulting vid was like you described. I found out that Virtual dub was using an outdated version of XviD as decoder thad had problems. For some strange reason all the mediaplayers (i mainly use Mediaplayer classic) used the recent one i installed over the old one. So i uninstalled and deleted every XviD codec on my HDD until Virtualdub didn´t list XviD anymore in the compression settings. Then i installed the newest XviD version and everything was fine.

Back