GP2X Joystick Centerswitch, Could We Use Something Else?

DaveC

Internal Development
Hi,

A simple request for apps that do or would use the center switch on the joystick.

I was wondering if you all could eliminate the need to use the center push of the joystick to get to the menu etc. in your apps? There are a couple of reasons for this request.

First, the way that the current stick is designed the center push switch is also the pivot point for the stick itself. By pressing this it can cause the plastic point over the center push switch to wear sooner causing the shaft to drop and jam in some cases. There have been some complaints already about this.

Second, I am looking to make a D-pad replacement kit to totally replace the stick (as others are too). This pad won't have this center switch anymore. Because of this I would have to add a special button for center push. This is more work and cost for the user when buying and installing.

My solution is to use the "start" or "select" in combination with the shoulder button(s) instead of the joystick push and shoulder button(s). That is only a suggestion and can be done any number of ways. If you really want the center push maybe you could make an alternate button option too, or make it so both combinations would work.

Even if the pad mod doesn't work out it would still prolong the life of the standard stick for users of that as well.

:lol: :lol: In my line(s) of work (Automobile and PC repair), this is what is known as a "User Fix", or a "customer fix", fix the way it is used instead of changing hardware.

Seriously though, if necessary couldn't you write a driver for the joystick device that would automatically move the center push to a key combo, and even do the 4-way to 8-way filtering?

I don't know if the driver is compiled into the kernel or what, but we do have the full source.

It shouldn't be impossible to code a simple driver to replace the original driver and output whatever we want to the kernel when a button is pressed. But then again the simplest things are sometimes the hardest.

I of course would like to use this to go the opposite direction and make 4 extra buttons (5 if you count center push) and use them for key combos.

nubie posted on Aug 2 2006 at 07:55 AM said:
I of course would like to use this to go the opposite direction and make 4 extra buttons (5 if you count center push) and use them for key combos.

Sorry but I didn't get that, how can u get 4 extra buttons? do you mean by using a combination of the center button pressed + (A, B, X, or Y)? I am interested in developing serious applications on GP2X, (at least these are things I know I can do, am not that good in assembly nor I have the artist sense to develop an emulator nor a homebrew game) so the more buttons the better it's for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sehs33 posted on Aug 2 2006 at 01:48 AM said:
nubie posted on Aug 2 2006 at 07:55 AM said:

Sorry but I didn't get that, how can u get 4 extra buttons? do you mean by using a combination of the center button pressed + (A, B, X, or Y)? I am interested in developing serious applications on GP2X, (at least these are things I know I can do, am not that good in assembly nor I have the artist sense to develop an emulator nor a homebrew game) so the more buttons the better it's for me :)
You didn't understand. The plan is to replace the joystick hardware completely with something more robust (there are many discussions on the frailty of the stock stick). The choice seems to be a standard-type D-pad with 4 contact buttons. The extra 4 buttons (the current stick has 8), could be tied to standard buttons and software could transform them into extra face buttons, which we would have to install into the face of the GP2X ourselves.

So, the 4 extra buttons are installed by a user when he changes to the 4-contact joystick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back