Java / Java Applications?

If Java is working on the Pandora (not 100% sure), then it doesn't matter what platform it run on. In fact I use jEdit a lot, At work I run it on a shared drive, I use it with X86 Linux and Windows, Also use it on PPC AIX and RISC based Solaris. All systems work fine and run with the same install on that shared drive.

Java does run quite well on the Pandora, it's just way too big to fit on the NAND.

I've got a package you can extract to an SD card in order to run java apps from the command line. I was trying to figure out how to PNDify it when I got distracted by something shiny.

I've played a few games (networked, even), and ran some of my own programs. I didn't do any major major testing, but it worked pretty well from what I could see. See if this'll work for you for now; now that I've been reminded of this, maybe I can avoid distraction and get it working properly this weekend.

Java does run quite well on the Pandora, it's just way too big to fit on the NAND.

I've got a package you can extract to an SD card in order to run java apps from the command line. I was trying to figure out how to PNDify it when I got distracted by something shiny.

I've played a few games (networked, even), and ran some of my own programs. I didn't do any major major testing, but it worked pretty well from what I could see. See if this'll work for you for now; now that I've been reminded of this, maybe I can avoid distraction and get it working properly this weekend.

I'll get back to you as soon as I get mine. :(

If you can get it working properly, that would rock.

*edit*

Also, forgive ignorance, what is NAND and what does it stand for?

Last edited by a moderator:
'NAND' is a memory technology (NAND is a type of logical gate "Not AND" that is used in the memory cells), but is on these boards used to refer to the internal storage. Practically all solid state storage today is NAND, except for some asynchronous directly addressable bootroms, which use the more reliable (no damaged sectors allowed, generally) NOR technology.

'NAND' is a memory technology (NAND is a type of logical gate "Not AND" that is used in the memory cells), but is on these boards used to refer to the internal storage. Practically all solid state storage today is NAND, except for some asynchronous directly addressable bootroms, which use the more reliable (no damaged sectors allowed, generally) NOR technology.

How much of it is there? How much does the OS use?

How much of it is there? How much does the OS use?

512megs worth, I'm unsure exactly how much the OS takes up, but there are two SD card slots that can be used for additional storage. Or a USB ports if you Really need more.

edit: Doesn't sound like a lot, but with SD cards and the .PND system it works pretty well.

Have you tried using symlinks on the pandora's NAND to link to the SD card so that it could be ran "natively" like on a desktop? Or is this not possible?

symlinks could be a way of doing this, but think you can just set the java PATH system variable to one that points to the SD card directory. Perhaps it can be set on when loading the .PND automatically.

Hi, I have thrown together the java package from WizardStan and jEdit. Runs fine!

Get it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/431991027/jEdit.zip

Extract to a folder on SD card and doubleclick jedit.sh

Edit: For testing purposes only, as it creates .jedit folder in your homedirectory on the nand. But I think there will be only the settings.

Have you tried using symlinks on the pandora's NAND to link to the SD card so that it could be ran "natively" like on a desktop? Or is this not possible?
Oh, it works perfectly well. I got stumped trying to set up sufficiently intelligent install and execution scripts. There's a lot of ways it can be done.

Without a Pandora to play with the PND system I can figure it out myself. But I got to think there is a way to setting up some easier install for it.

Perhaps just a .bin file installer that could install Java to the app data folder where all the other application data gets stored for the Pandora on the SD card. I know generally the you need to add the JAVA directory to your .bashrc or what ever shell is popular these days. I'm not sure if that could be easily editable with a shell script.

Well I'm glad Java and jEdit is working, thanks for getting this working!

Because of the NAND space issue, I'm planning to simply run the OS from a SD-card and install Java, and other stuff, from the Ängstrom repo. It's the easy solution, imo :)

http://pandorawiki.org/Running_Linux_from_an_SD_card

I was thinking of doing this too, but I can see the ease of the PND system and why people will like it. If I want to just game I will most likely just boot the NAND. But for my tinkering around I'd like to mess with things, so the SD card may be the best method.

Without a Pandora to play with the PND system I can figure it out myself. But I got to think there is a way to setting up some easier install for it.
There is, I've already got it working. :p The PND contains an "instjava.sh" script which copies a custom java binary to /usr/bin which looks for and runs openjdk in the java.pnd file. So once you've "installed" java, it will behave exactly like regular java: you just go "java -jar myapp.jar arguments go here" and it'll run your java jar file. It also sets HOME to the appdata directory, though that may or may not be desirable.

Unfortunately I appear to lack the ability to create squashfs and the file structure is too big for iso.

As soon as I get squashfs behaving properly, I'll pop a pnd up.

Here we go

Beta of a java PND. Put PND into /pandora/menu, run "System->Java Install", enjoy!

No pictures or videos from me as my screen is not very pleasant to look at right now. Forget purple tint of death, I've got rainbow tint of death. :p

Well thanks for throwing this together, your a Hero in my book.

Back