I've Killed My Gp2x

Scoca

Still Fresh
Hi,

In attempting to remove FW3 from my GP2X I've managed to brick the thing.
When I switch on I get a white screen, followed by coloured vertical lines.

I've had a search around and I believe I need a JTAG cable.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased?
Or do any of the dealers offer an un-bricking service?

Thanks.

Hi,

In attempting to remove FW3 from my GP2X I've managed to brick the thing.
When I switch on I get a white screen, followed by coloured vertical lines.

I've had a search around and I believe I need a JTAG cable.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased?
Or do any of the dealers offer an un-bricking service?

Thanks.
Before you go down the JTAG road, have you tried writing an older firmware on the SD card using a card reader and updating with that first? Sorry if you have tried it already, but sometimes it's as simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bricked mine a while back, and every time I asked anyone for advice all they would say is 'use fresh batteries'. It angered me no end.

Scoca: You can send your 2x to EvilDragon and probably other distributors to unbrick it, but the postage might be a bit pricey. I know nothing about JTAG so I can't advise you on that, sorry.

If it is bricked (i.e. U-Boot is shagged and if you don’t get a 1st bootscreen on good batteries then that is most lightly) you can buy a GP2X BoB and some extra leads and use that to unbrick the unit yourself (it can be a pain if the GP2X is in an odd state of the CPU keeps coming up in Thumb mode). If you go down that route post here or pop into GP2XDev on EfNet and we will try and help you step by step.

You could also send the unit to Ed in Germany (GP2X.de) or me in the UK. Some of the other dealers offer unbricking services but charge a small fee for it IIRC. Not sure on the situation outside Europe but I have unbricked a good few units from people in America, Asia and even one from Aus ;).

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

I've tried putting FW2 on the SD card but it doesn't even get to the first black screen.
I managed to upgrade from FW1.4 to FW2 to FW3 with no problems.

The batteries were fully charged, and I've just tried again with freshly charged ones but it's still white screen/coloured lines.

DJWillis: thanks for the kind offer, what do you charge for unbricking? I'm in the uk.

have you tried to clean the pin of connector for the batterie on the GP2x? some GP2x have problem of oxidation of the pin.

Back