I've Been Thinking About Getting One...

wakeupinflames

Still Fresh
Hey, I've been thinking about getting a GP2X for a while now, but the reason why I haven't is because I have a PSP that I can play homebrew and run emulators on. What else can the GP2X do besides run emulators play music, movies, and display pictures?

wakeupinflames said:
Hey, I've been thinking about getting a GP2X for a while now, but the reason why I haven't is because I have a PSP that I can play homebrew and run emulators on. What else can the GP2X do besides run emulators play music, movies, and display pictures?
Well, not much else, but 2X does it better. The GP2X can play DivX videos rather than just mp4s. We have better homebrew games (in my opinion anyway) , it has a good photo viewer which is great for comics, and it supports more music formats than the PSP.
Though, If I were you, I'd wait for the Pandora

Last edited by a moderator:
wakeupinflames said:
Wow, that's awesome! Do you really think that it would display graphics like this though?
http://pandora.bluwiki.org/go/Image:Fluffy16.jpg

On the crucial assumption that someone ports or makes games that have graphics of that level, it certainly ought to. That particular image is from Heretic II, which there isn't source available for, so unless there is an open source interpretter for the data files, it probably won't display that particular image at any time (except trivially by an image viewer, of course).

But that said, Heretic II is a Quake 2-based game. And as far as we know, even Quake III isn't going to tax this baby. It has potential for some incredibly cool games to end up on it :). Look around the various forums and find out what people are planning to port as and when, and that'll give you an idea of what to expect :). Particularly the "list of actual planned projects" in the Dev forum.

wakeupinflames said:
Wow, that's awesome! Do you really think that it would display graphics like this though?
http://pandora.bluwiki.org/go/Image:Fluffy16.jpg

If fancy 3D like that is what you are looking for the PSP will be better than a GP2X.

The GP2X is great for emulators for 2D systems though. The screen aspect and resolution of the GP2X fit better than the PSP and it controls better rotated to play MAME arcade games. The PSP is more awkward to hold while playing those games. The GP2X screen doesn't smear with fast moving objects like the PSP does either.

Back