It's In My Hands-- Now What?

zimsjim

Still Fresh
i put the emulator files on a SD and put it in the Caandoo--

now what? :)

do i need to do firmware first? how do i get the Caanoo to recognize the card or how do i upload the emulators to the device?

i am soooo not a good tech person, so am already lost

not sure what i'm doing wrong

i have the SD card and added the neo geo emulator for example - the gn geo 0.7 one

i downloaded it and extracted the files on my computer

I then moved the file with that looks like a piece of paper with a gear on it and the file folder to my desktop

i moved those two folders/files to my SD card

I inserted to the Caanoo

turned it on

what am i missing?

zimsjim said:

i have the SD card and added the neo geo emulator for example - the gn geo 0.7 one

I then moved the file with that looks like a piece of paper with a gear on it and the file folder to my desktop

I inserted to the Caanoo

turned it on

what am i missing?

The files must be placed in a folder called GAME on your SD card.

Last edited by a moderator:
CKeichel said:
zimsjim said:

I inserted to the Caanoo

turned it on

what am i missing?

The files must be placed in a folder called GAME on your SD card.

Thanks! I figured that part out now.... they still don't show up under Games though on my Caanoo? Like when i power it on and click on games, there is nothing, even though i have them in the Games folder on the SD card. I was thinking I could just go to games and play them, but nothing? Here's a youtube video of my issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8QwFSvYD4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPPzKwKGpC4

and this is what the files on the card look like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp2jwTnRb7s

Also, do i have to leave the SD card in to play the games every time?

First of all, you should copy the gngeo folder and the gngeo ini file (the one with the gear in the icon) into the folder GAME, then it will apear under games. Every emulator has an ini file like GnGeo and expects to be run from the games folder.
Second you should read the readme of the emulator. You need the bios files of the NeoGeo unzipped in the emulator directory.

I don't understand the part about leaving the SD card in the device. Of course the SD card must be inserted in the Caanoo, it is the card, where the emulator and the roms are read from.

CKeichel said:
First of all, you should copy the gngeo folder and the gngeo ini file (the one with the gear in the icon) into the folder GAME, then it will apear under games. Every emulator has an ini file like GnGeo and expects to be run from the games folder.
Second you should read the readme of the emulator. You need the bios files of the NeoGeo unzipped in the emulator directory.

I don't understand the part about leaving the SD card in the device. Of course the SD card must be inserted in the Caanoo, it is the card, where the emulator and the roms are read from.

Thanks! What is a Bios folder? I don't see any on the emulator file

so i see in the emulator files for the NESgp2s and snes x4c both have a spot where it says "put roms here" or whatever, so i actually have figured those out. They are all slow though- is that what clocking is and how do I do that?

And for those emulators without spots that say "put roms here" do they just need loaded as normally via SD and then to the games folder?

thanks again

zimsjim said:

so i see in the emulator files for the NESgp2s and snes x4c both have a spot where it says "put roms here" or whatever, so i actually have figured those out. They are all slow though- is that what clocking is and how do I do that?

And for those emulators without spots that say "put roms here" do they just need loaded as normally via SD and then to the games folder?

thanks again

Every emulator has a readme file, that you should read carefully, everything is explained there. Your question regarding the NeoGeo Bios is answered at the very beginning of the readme, where the installation is explained, it says:
- Put a neogeo bios (unzip it!) in the roms dir
So you see, it's useful to take a look at these texts.

Regarding to your questions, Snes9X4C and NESGP2S are rather slow, you can try DrPockesSnes, which is faster and supports Overclocking.

CKeichel said:
zimsjim said:

thanks again

Every emulator has a readme file, that you should read carefully, everything is explained there. Your question regarding the NeoGeo Bios is answered at the very beginning of the readme, where the installation is explained, it says:
- Put a neogeo bios (unzip it!) in the roms dir
So you see, it's useful to take a look at these texts.

Regarding to your questions, Snes9X4C and NESGP2S are rather slow, you can try DrPockesSnes, which is faster and supports Overclocking.

Thank you.... i saw the readme files, but what does this mean? "Put a neogeo bios (unzip it!) in the roms dir" i'd put it there if i knew what it was!

And DrPocketSNES.... all i have when i Download it is a .7z file, while the other emulators have readmes and seem to be more detailed. Am I missing something?
And for the Pico Drive download, I have no idea what any of this means? I apologize, but this is my first emulation of ANYTHING, so this is all greek to me....

Extract all files to some directory on your SD and run PicoDrive.gpe from your
GP2X/Wiz/Caanoo menu. The same .gpe supports GP2X F100/F200, Wiz and Caanoo,
there is no need to use separate versions.
Then load a ROM and enjoy! ROMs can be in .smd or .bin format and can be zipped.
Sega/Mega CD images can be in ISO/CSO+MP3/WAV or CUE+BIN formats (read below
for more details).

This emulator has lots of options with various tweaks (for improved speed mostly),
but it should have best compatibility in it's default config. If suddently you
start getting glitches or change something and forget what, use "Restore defaults"
option.

How to run Sega/Mega CD games
-----------------------------

To play any game, you need BIOS files. These files must be copied to
the same directory as PicoDrive files.
Files can be named as follows:

US: us_scd1_9210.bin us_scd2_9306.bin SegaCDBIOS9303.bin
EU: eu_mcd1_9210.bin eu_mcd2_9303.bin eu_mcd2_9306.bin
JP: jp_mcd1_9112.bin jp_mcd1_9111.bin
these files can also be zipped.

The game must be dumped to ISO/CSO+MP3/WAV or CUE+BIN format. When using
CUE/BIN, you must load .cue file from the menu, or else the emu will not find
audio tracks.
CUE/BIN usually takes a lot of space, so it can be converted to cue/cso/mp3 by
using bin_to_cso_mp3 tool, which is included with the emulator. See readme in
the bin_to_cso_mp3/ directory for details.

7z is the extension of a packer, you have to unpack it.

The NeoGeo bios are files you need to run the NeoGeo emulator.

I think in general it would be best, if you try to google these things. 7z as well as neo geo bios bring up results, that should answer your questions.

so do I need to download this http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html to "unpack"?

I tried that.... the icons next to my 7z files now looks like it has a 4G or something on it....is that right? And where do i put the games/roms now?

zimsjim said:
so do I need to download this http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html to "unpack"?

I tried that.... the icons next to my 7z files now looks like it has a 4G or something on it....is that right? And where do i put the games/roms now?

The 7z you donwloaded also came with a readme, just read it, everything is in it, believe me. And before you do that, simply try to open the 7z file to see what happens.

Back