Isotcl Demo Release

ivanixgames

Still Fresh
isotcl.jpg

Here's an alpha release of an isometric engine written in C and Tcl. Its designed to allow rapid development of isometric games. The demos are preludes to the following game titles or themes..

-- iso mini golf.
-- puck a duck
-- bye bye fluffy!
-- Bar monopoly
-- Foosball
-- and many more, including multiplayer capability such as
-- Go
-- Poorman's 2nd Life
[cut]
-- the data folder contains quite a few sprites created in Blender.
Feel free to mod the scripts and change.

You can download from http://www.ivanix.com/down/isotcl.zip

Regards,[/cut]

Cool, with isometric perspective there can be done many interesting Games. Strategy or Zaxxon like Shooters. A "Viewpoint" like Quality Shooter for GP2X would be great. :) Sadly, I have no talent in coding. Maybe a little bit graphic, I'm trying to handle this crappy Blender since some weeks but this program drives me crazy!
Here, some exercices about pipes, maybe useful for an Pipe Game, I had designed it for 2D Top-Down view but isometric Pipe game could be possible to...maybe:

pipestestblenderre6.jpg

P.S.: Blender handling suxx! :lol:

Holy developer art Batman! :) Anyone up for making a Diablo clone?

Nice pipes there fusion. Very stylish.

OK, I was getting worried there. The package seems work ok with firmware 3.0.
It was working with the older 2.1.2 through telnet. But now I tried it through the gp2xmenu launcher with a SD card it its just returning to the gp2xmenu. I should be able to figure out what's wrong in a jiffy or two.

OK, I think I found the problem.

When copying from Windows XP over to the SD either from a cardreader or via gp2x usb cable,
Filenames with UPPER case get mangled into lower case. Actually, the gp2x will see them as lower while Windows will still see them as upper. However, if I copy over via a telnet session from a samba server, the casing is retained. Some of the tcl lib and data files use uppercase as part of the filenames.

This is the case on 2.1.2 firmware. I'll check 3.0.0 later. I suspect its how the gp2x is mounting the sd card, I'm pretty sure this has probably a known "feature".

In the meantime, I repackaged the files into a compress tar which can be extracted by the extract.gpe script.
The new zip filed is over at http://www.ivanix.com/down/isotcl-0.2.zip

Thank you for your patience and please let me know if anyone still has trouble installing.

Fusion,

You said you did those pipes in blender? That's what i'm using for the iso characters, but nothing to the detail that you've done.
Just wondering, do you think you could whip up some glass tubes?
we have enabled alpha and transparency, so it could be possible to create the illusion of something say like a marble rolling inside.

ivanixgames said:
In the meantime, I repackaged the files into a compress tar which can be extracted by the extract.gpe script.
The new zip filed is over at http://www.ivanix.com/down/isotcl-0.2.zip

Thank you for your patience and please let me know if anyone still has trouble installing.

For FW 2.1.2, now it works (naturally, it needs to wait some minutes for the extraction).
It's impressive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like maybe A Roller Coaster Tycoon fangame could be possable with this (not saying its gonna happen, heck I dont think it would ever be completed if someone attempted... but it is A cool idea...)

Anyhow, this seems like A interesting game engine and could be used for tons of difforent methods. (Zaxxon, Kirbys Dream Corse, RPG's, etc.) Keep impoving on this, I think it could become something more than another "game engine".

ivanixgames said:
Fusion,

You said you did those pipes in blender? That's what i'm using for the iso characters, but nothing to the detail that you've done.
Just wondering, do you think you could whip up some glass tubes?
we have enabled alpha and transparency, so it could be possible to create the illusion of something say like a marble rolling inside.
Uh, I still learning with Blender. And for my taste it's not easy. ^^"" This Idea with the Glass tubes is interesting but this would require "clean" and real "solid" pipes. My pipes just have an outside but not an correct inside because they are made out of dirty and non fitting parts just stuck together. I'm working on an "clean" pipe whith an real inside and so on but this can take a while. I don't have found the correct isometric camera ankles and the correct lightning yet, maybe you have an template for this?
Shadow is an Problem to because an pipe-tile has different shadows at the ground when its standing free and unconnected, and other shadows when connected to other pipes. Maybe this would be an problem ingame, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
tclisopipes.jpg

Fusion,

This smaller demo contains pipes of various configurations, 2 way ,3 way 4way, elbow, and a couple of channels carved out of marble.

The blender files are included in the data folder.
There's a shell script, blend2iso.sh in the app folder that calls another script, blend2iso (also in the app folder)
which converts the blender animation frames into iso frame images, by renaming according to face direction (NE, SE, SW, NW) and leg frame (R=Right Leg forward, L=Left Leg Forward). Of course pipes have no legs so these frames are redundant at the moment. However they could be used to animate a ball rolling through the pipe or channel.

http://www.ivanix.com/down/isotclpipes1.zip

Regards

Thanx, I will take a look at this. :) Your pipes look good enough for an game, maybe just a little bit thicker "walls".
I have no experience with blender scripts or animations so this all could take a while. ^^ i'm glad, that I 've found out yet, how to make smooth and transparent shadows. :lol:
Do you have a "full" animation of the rotation of the pieces in Mind, or just simply using 4 directions of each tile?
And if you have an Idea, how to include correct shadows of the tubes in such an game, let me know. :)

Back