Isn't this the mobile chip manufacturer for the Pyra?

This could be good news, perhaps a drop in the price of the modules.

sim cards, credit cards etc. (in particular the chips) are compromised. So everything except what you encrypt yourself is not save even if it is "encrypted" by company X/Y, standard X/Y (phone calls for example). You "should" be fine as long, as you encrypt your conversations yourself (jabber, TOX, PGP...) and use https websites and such. The hostile baseband processor inside UMTS modules is worse.

Related to the Pyra, I don't recall hearing about a sand box design aproach like the Neo900. But since its the same hardware designer maybe I'm not up to date???

You can cut the power of the module via software, that should be enough ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote from Heise

Auch Gemaltos deutscher Mitbewerber Giesecke & Devrient wird als Angriffsziel erwähnt, und es darf angenommen werden, dass in den vergangenen Jahren auch andere Hersteller dazugekommen sind.
Which roughly translates to:
Gemalto's German competitor Giesecke & Devrient is mentioned as a target, too, and one has to expect other manufacturers to have been targeted in the years since.
So unencrypted SMS, phone calls and internet connections are compromised. I wonder what would happen if the actual keys were leaked…

Wasn't the UMTS modem to be connected through a serial interface and talked to with AT-commands? Wouldn't that mean a rather good separation between the main system and the chip? The only attacks I can imagine are identifying and locating the user without their knowledge, which is basically an inherent problem of the mobile infrastructure already.

Edit:

You can cut the power of the module via software, that should be enough ;)
Also, this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's unbelievable but all these conspiracy theories are actualy true, we live in a weird world. :ph34r:

A company that can make a real secure phone would make a fortune these days for sure. Strange that all the rich people that want privacy don't invest in such a company, especialy after all the leaks like "fappening".

Privacy requires a minimum amount of discipline and intelligence that most people simply do not have. It is never convenient. There is simply no significant market for privacy.

Privacy requires a minimum amount of discipline and intelligence that most people simply do not have. It is never convenient. There is simply no significant market for privacy.
A evil person could say, as long the userbase with strong privacy is so small, Big brother is less likely to invest a large ammount of money to break into their userbase.

But even as they do to fight "terrorism" they seem to fail time after time anyway. Its not all that fucked up for those who put a little care into their encryption.

Back