Is There A Web Browser In Development For The Gp2x And Is There Going


STravers

Still Fresh
Joined
Jun 25, 2006
Messages
40
Is there a web browser in development for the GP2X and is there going to be another GP console coming soon like GP3X.The reason I ask is because im hesatating about payin $200 for this and it doesnt have a web browser.
 

Vimacs

Don't be evil!
Joined
Oct 23, 2003
Messages
5,762
Age
33
Location
Germany
Website
Visit site
There are allready multiple ones out, you could have found them with SEARCHING.
Theres links, and there is opera for opie.
 

mth411

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2003
Messages
510
Goto http://x11.gp2x.de/
download the x11 0.3 release, place the x11 folder in your root (/)
then download gpe from same site, unzip the contents of that in root (/), there should be gpe script in root, some filesys..., and another folder called "root",
so

/x11

and
/gpe...
/filesys..
/root

Then launch gpe, wait forever, create login, wait forever, and then launch either brower (dillo or opera).

There are also several other browsers out there, but this one is getting good, and you could modify the gpe launcher to just launch opera or dillo and not the entire gpe system (thereby cutting down on the gpe loading forever).

Edit: It also contains GAIM instant messanger, Abiword text editor, Gnumeric excel program, and Ebook reader in the others folder.
 

jaesond

Still Fresh
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
78
mth411 posted on Jul 7 2006 at 07:10 PM said:
Goto http://x11.gp2x.de/
download the x11 0.3 release, place the x11 folder in your root (/)
then download gpe from same site, unzip the contents of that in root (/), there should be gpe script in root, some filesys..., and another folder called "root",
so

/x11

and
/gpe...
/filesys..
/root

Then launch gpe, wait forever, create login, wait forever, and then launch either brower (dillo or opera).

There are also several other browsers out there, but this one is getting good, and you could modify the gpe launcher to just launch opera or dillo and not the entire gpe system (thereby cutting down on the gpe loading forever).

Edit: It also contains GAIM instant messanger, Abiword text editor, Gnumeric excel program, and Ebook reader in the others folder.
But can you get GPE online? Every attempt of mine has failed. Checking the settings in GPE, it apparently thinks it wants to use a different IP than the GP2X's.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Orkie

Super Duper Mega GP Mania
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
2,359
Location
UK
Website
www.gp2x.dev
Well, I was going to post this directly from my GP2X with Dillo in GPE, but I accidentally pulled out the USB host/TV-out connector just as I got to this thread...

Yes it does work, but it requires a bit of fiddling at the moment. Hopefully some instructions can be posted at some point.
 

jaesond

Still Fresh
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
78
Orkie posted on Jul 7 2006 at 08:04 PM said:
Well, I was going to post this directly from my GP2X with Dillo in GPE, but I accidentally pulled out the USB host/TV-out connector just as I got to this thread...

Yes it does work, but it requires a bit of fiddling at the moment. Hopefully some instructions can be posted at some point.
Could you PM me how you did it? Please? That would be so nice to be able to do.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Orkie

Super Duper Mega GP Mania
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
2,359
Location
UK
Website
www.gp2x.dev
On the GP2X (inside GPE) you need to create /etc/resolv.conf containing the following:
Code:
nameserver {IP address of computer with shared Internet connection/router}
And execute the following command in the terminal (replace 192.168.0.1 with whatever IP address you have assigned your PC in the USB network):
Code:
route add -net default gw 192.168.0.1
If you use Windows, you should be able to then just select your main network connection and the USB network connection in the control panel, right click and choose to bridge the two for it to work.
If you use Linux, you'll need to execute the following commands as root:
Code:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
 

jaesond

Still Fresh
Joined
Jan 17, 2006
Messages
78
Orkie posted on Jul 8 2006 at 11:51 AM said:
On the GP2X (inside GPE) you need to create /etc/resolv.conf containing the following:
Code:
nameserver {IP address of computer with shared Internet connection/router}
And execute the following command in the terminal (replace 192.168.0.1 with whatever IP address you have assigned your PC in the USB network):
Code:
route add -net default gw 192.168.0.1
If you use Windows, you should be able to then just select your main network connection and the USB network connection in the control panel, right click and choose to bridge the two for it to work.
If you use Linux, you'll need to execute the following commands as root:
Code:
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
I don't have my GP2X near to test, but does any of that require root access? I can't log on as root for some reason, nor get access to it in general.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Orkie

Super Duper Mega GP Mania
Joined
Mar 22, 2006
Messages
2,359
Location
UK
Website
www.gp2x.dev
Yes, that does require that you are logged in as root. It would probably be best to wait for the next GPE release which will let you do that without too much fiddling.
 
Top