Is My Gp2x Dead?!?

tekaotaku

Still Fresh
Hi New-ish to the forum so be gentle lol

Just taken a GP2X in trade (for an atari lynx and games) and its just arrived, my problem being my screen does nothing but output verticle rainbow lines!! I have seen this before in other handhelds where the wrong power adapter had been used and fried the screen, im hoping this isnt the case!

Anyway pic here

Not good quality, but you can see the lines.The machine is being powered with brand new duracell batteries, SD Card inserted and tried not inserted. The guy said all it needed was reflashing, I havnt even started with that yet, so just thought Id ask the simple question before I do:

Is my Screen fried and dead!?!?

Any help would be really appricated, and please bare in mind, im a newbie lol

tekaotaku said:
Is my Screen fried and dead!?!?
No, it isn't, but I cannot say the same about your batteries.

That lovely rainbow is the expressive way that the Gp2x has to say "my batteries are exhausted. gimme more, gimme more!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's typical of not enough power getting to the machine - they really are power hungry. Either do as fishybawb said above, or buy a power adapter (around £7.00 from Argos or Tesco in the UK). :)

Thank you all for the quick replys, Just looked at the batteries and they are standard 1500, 1.5v duracells. I'll go out to tommowo and get a power supply for it, any paticular recomendations?? Ive not got an instructions booklet with it either, so unsure on the polarity and voltage required?? I understand you prob get these questions on a regular basis....lol

Anyway, thanks for the help guys and hopefully I'll have it up and running tommowo, thansk again.

If the person you got it from said it needed a reflash, then it's possible that you'll have to invest in a cradle and the gp2xrecovery application to reflash it. Wait until you get more batteries to be sure first though before spending the cash.

Well needless to say, thank you all for the help.

I went out this afternoon and purchased a multi adaptor from my local Argos store for £7, bargin, does the job a treat, its got Firmware v2 installed so not going to flash it until I've learnt a little more about it.

I'm now the proud owner of a fully working GP2X, and I can get to play to snatcher on the move (when I get the batterys too as well lol in the meantime the adaptor is fine)

Again thanks everyone.

Sphinxter said:
What's 'to snatcher on the move', Is that emulated?
Yep, basicaly its Snatcher by konami, but "to snatcher on the move" is a classic example of my piss poor typing :rolleyes:

tekaotaku said:
Sphinxter said:
Yep, basicaly its Snatcher by konami, but "to snatcher on the move" is a classic example of my piss poor typing :rolleyes:

Best game on Sega CD right there

LevelPlane said:
tekaotaku said:
Sphinxter said:

Best game on Sega CD right there

Too right, had a love of snatcher ever since I bought it in '94 on a whim....it looked different on the shelve to all the other pap that was out on the mega CD back then so I took a chance, and it deffo payed off.

I think its just great that I'll now be able to enjoy the game when im away from my computer, been messing with the settings in picodrive and found a good balance of sound and speed for the game (not that its really intensive to start with). Had a dabble on road avenger (love that just for the song by j-walk) and again got a decent balance to make it playable, might get a few wierd looks on the bus with that one lol.

Back