Is It Possible To Use 256mb Smc's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but it must be a 3.3v smc and it's very difficult to find a SMC 256 3.3v.
and the bios has no limit to read only 128Mo.. it was a legend.

I think it works yeah. But to error is human :)

If you find a smc 256 3.3v and no more.. try it and say us if ot works :)

sigh... how many more times? A 256mb SMC is GUARANTEED *NOT* TO WORK without recompiling everything that used it, eg. the bios, and every program that accesses the card. Yes, that includes 3.3v cards.

The only chance it'll work is if it pretends to be two completely seperate 128mb cards, and by then you may as well have two 128mb cards anyway.

cool Squidge.. but a french guy say me it works.
OK it's maybe (surely) a liar...

so don't try it.. Squidge know more about that than me.

Yep, Mr. Spiv once said that only the first 128MB are adressable by the bios (AFAIR).

And if it's something with bios - Mr. Spiv is the one to believe :)

Well, if the topic is closed, how come I can still reply? :D

Anyway, 256MB SMC does not exist. I tell you what, here's a challenge: if you can find and actually buy a 256MB SMC card (of whatever voltage), then I will buy it off you for what you paid plus US$50.

There have been stores that advertised 256MB SMC, but it always turned out to be a mistake. I think that they are the reason for this lingering question about whether they are available.

As for software support, well the first thing the software does is it looks at the SMC's ID to find out what size it is. Samsung has never defined an ID for 256MB, and so no software supports it, and so if you did plug one of these mythical 256MB SMC's into your GP32 the software would bork on the ID and the card would not work at all.

Would It be possible to partition flash memory? Partition a 512mb card into four patitions of 128mb and have a boot loader in the bios or firmware to select the partiton?

I don't think so - as no xD Converter supports more than 128MB (as already said, that's the maximum that exists out there.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back