Is Anyone Planning To Port Blendder To The Pandora

Holy crap, I don't think you'll be able to render much on the Pandora. For Blender the more horse power your computer has the better. Or, better yet, make a render farm with 20-30 PCs.

Games/movies can be made for the Pandora in Blender though, is that what you meant?

EDIT: Wait, you mean Blender? You spelled Blendder and google didn't come up with anything.

I'm guessing it's the actual modeling in Blender that would be done on the Pandora, as rendering some heavier stuff would take ages :)
Also, I'm sure the Blendder was just a small typo

second exodous said:
Holy crap, I don't think you'll be able to render much on the Pandora. For Blender the more horse power your computer has the better. Or, better yet, make a render farm with 20-30 PCs.

Games can be made for the Pandora in Blender though, is that what you meant?

EDIT: Wait, you mean Blender? You spelled Blendder and google didn't come up with anything.

Yea I mean blender, but I didn't say that I want to render anything, for example: you are making a game directly on the pandora with c++ and you forgot to model one oblject file i so you can model it directly on the pandora without rendering anything. I know I'm a little crazy :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
wiimario said:
second exodous said:

Yea I mean blender, but I didn't say that I want to render anything, for example: you are making a game directly on the pandora with c++ and you forgot to model one oblject file i so you can model it directly on the pandora without rendering anything. I know I'm a little crazy :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:
Jeeze, I don't know. I don't think there would be much use in what you just described. I would think it would just be better to fix it on the PC you made the game on and then try it on the Pandora again.

second exodous said:
wiimario said:
second exodous said:

Jeeze, I don't know. I don't think there would be much use in what you just described. I would think it would just be better to fix it on the PC you made the game on and then try it on the Pandora again.

Well I don't think so, first of all, modelling with the touchscreen would be brilliant! Imagine touching a cube and model it with the stylus! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
second thing: for an hobby modeller like me, opening blender while i'm on the bus would be better than using my pc (tower) imagine taking a tower into a bus :blink: :blink: .

Theres been so many topics on this and I alway wonder if the people who post these topics actually know how to use the app. Ok, pandora has a full keyboard so its fine for shortcuts, but with the screen size and processing power its just not worth porting. The games your planning on running with blender are likely OGL and would need porting. Also the GPU only supports 14M tris which is a deceivingly small number...

My little netbook runs blender just fine, and it only has a 1.66GHz Intel Atom Processor, running Windows XP, with antivirus software sucking up who knows how much of the processing power. The Pandora should have no problems.

Except for the part where someone ports Blender to OpenGL ES. That will require some effort. The rest should be entirely possible, if time-consuming.

Blender was ported to PocketPC / OpenGL ES here...

http://russose.free.fr/BlenderPocket/

From the latest news, it looks like an iTouch / iPhone port is being looked into also.

A pocket Blender would be very fun to play with, I agree that it would be a nice thing for quick and dirty modelling and so on .. and with the new Blender user interface work thats happening, it could be a very, very profitable (from the standpoint of value-of-use) thing indeed to get Blender ported to all these portable platforms, because the GUI can now be changed quite radically in Blender, easily enough.

Blender 2.5 is now running on the Nokia n900!

image: http://www.flickr.co...N05/4240222604/
video: http://www.blendervi...ender-2-5alpha/
News report: http://www.blenderna...der-2-5alpha-2/

The phone have similar hardware as the Pandora, SGX530 + Cortex-A8

Can be fun to be able to show your models when you don't have your workstation around.
Now we need craig to link 4000 pandoras to a renderfarm and see how fast it will render.

Wonder if we can connect a pandora to a computer and use it as a tablet for sculpting in blender, like a wacom.

It seems rendering takes just as long as it did years ago, is it just because people push higher resolutions/poly counts now?

I'd bet you could render something like Toy Story2 in real time easily on a PC now.

Well if it's running on the N900 already, I guess 90% or the work's probably already done, so... cool.

I think I've mentioned before, a friend was running Blender on his 7" EeePC for a while. Same resolution display as the Pandora (but bigger), similar processing power, and he found it pretty good to use. (Modelling only of course, rendering on his PC.) Trying to read the interface on an even smaller screen might be tricky, but functionally it should be fine; and utilising the Pandora-specific controls (touchscreen, analog nubs) it should be even better.

I wonder why people tend to be so rough with questions like this one. Sure it's a demanding application, and sure Pandora probably isn't going to be your personal favorite device for modeling, animating and rendering, but let's not assume that it doesn't aid someone in their hobby or professional work in some way. I don't see why there isn't a possibility of that happening. Let's just be optimistic to all feasible ideas until they have been done, tried and learned from. Shall we not? ;)

Some people will use Blender for homebrew games, small games that can run in blenders gameengine. Maybe it is powerhungry right now, but it is gettin better and better all the time.
Don't really know how usefull it will be for work against other 3d engines that are working on pandora, irrlich, ogre...
I think most of the work for 3d games will be done on regular workstations, but for showing of simple 3d models I think it will work fine.

And only to be able to say that Blender is the most flexible 3d app in the world is worth alot :)

I would love to use Blender on the Pandora. Obviously it's not a practical application most of the time, but it's perfect for low-res models and quick '3d sketches' to get some ideas while on the go.

It'll definitely pique some curiosity with the other animation majors to see modeling done on such a small device (maybe some jealousy as well ;) )

Man, it's a real shame to think I'm the only one on this forum who does papercraft. Even though I don't plan on Pepekura ever being ported to the Pandora, I do make my own models using Blender. And it looks like a port would be perfect for it; low poly models without any rendering. All it will have to do is save as a .obj, which I'm sure it will be able to, and it'll work perfectly.

Edit: Whoops, wrong font.

Back