Gp2X Or Gp32 Emulators?

fearofshorts said:
I was about to point out what everyone was saying (that the emulator wouldn't be too useful), but then I saw the words "Cave Story".
DAMN IT!
Now this NEEDS to happen.

Oh look, a Linux Cave Story port.

...Okay, admittedly it's only version 1.01, and compiled for x86, and the maintainer (who was given the source to play with apparently just by asking very nicely) doesn't seem to be active any more, but the point is: a native implementation is probably where we should focus our Portable Cave Story excitement. Of which I have plenty.

Oh, but by all means, please resume discussion of those weird Game Park things. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kicker said:
...Okay, admittedly it's only version 1.01, and compiled for x86, and the maintainer (who was given the source to play with apparently just by asking very nicely)
That was before it was coming to WiiWare. You aren't likely to get the source for it now, so a native port is basically impossible.

Kicker said:
the maintainer (who was given the source to play with apparently just by asking very nicely) doesn't seem to be active any more
It's the same person who did GP2X port, and he has already posted here in one threads like this hinting that he won't do the port and other similar ports were canceled.

Edit: but those PS3 and Aminga cancel announcements are rather strange (click links on this news post):
http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2008/07/29/huzzah-cave-story-may-be-headed-to-wiiware/

The whole GP2X emulation interest seems to be centered on nothing more than Cave Story. Someone should just hack the GP2X binary and end this once and for all. M-HT could probably do it in a week.

First step: someone check to see if it has symbols intact, because if it does that'll make things a lot easier. It probably uses SDL, so you'll want to identify where the functions are and redirect them to a stub that loads SDL dynamically on Wiz. Merging new code into the binary is going to be a little tricky. What I think would be a good idea is to carve out the Cave Story core and manually turn it back into an ELF object file. Then it can be relinked against a new interface handling the platform-specific stuff. This could facilitate ports to other ARM platforms too.

Of course, you might pixel a little unhappy with any of this..

WizardStan said:
Kicker said:
...Okay, admittedly it's only version 1.01, and compiled for x86, and the maintainer (who was given the source to play with apparently just by asking very nicely)
That was before it was coming to WiiWare. You aren't likely to get the source for it now, so a native port is basically impossible.
Wii and PC Versions are different. I think Nintendo can't forbit to the free PC Version.

fusion_power said:
WizardStan said:
Kicker said:
Wii and PC Versions are different. I think Nintendo can't forbit to the free PC Version.

I briefly spoke with Simon Parzer right after I placed my pre-order. My impression was that Nicalis (the folks doing the Wii port) had acquired all future rights to the game. We didn't dicuss the legal situation in detail, but he did seem to feel that he'd have to get permission from them before he could release a Pandora port.

It would be one thing if the source code were floating around out there, and they would have trouble preventing us from doing anything. However, it sounds like the source was provided explicitly for the GP2x port. Do I understand correctly that it was only ever distributed in the compiled state?

I really want to play Cave Story on my Pandora (badly, perhaps more than anything else). I'll shoot him a message and see if he's willing to clarify.

fusion_power said:
Yes they can. It's called an exclusivity clause. It basically says "we paid you a lot of money so that we could port your code to this platform and then sell it. You can't let anyone else port this same code without our permission because it might overlap our target audience and we would therefore lose money and that would make us sad and our lawyers happy."
Well, not technically Nintendo, but whomever paid for the license to distribute it on WiiWare.

Kicker said:

I had a GP32 and a GP2x but I never heared of CaveStory. I played teh linux version for 10m and I already like it.
Is there a possibility to buy it for GP2x or GP32? I could use it in teh mean time while I wait fro my pandora :)

Sidenote: since some month i resurected my Gp2x again, all because of teh Panda-Waiting :)

notaz said:
It's the same person who did GP2X port, and he has already posted here in one threads like this hinting that he won't do the port and other similar ports were canceled.
Other ports? As in, other people asked, and were declined?

Well, you've ruined my day. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY

[quote name ='QBJECT']Do I understand correctly that it was only ever distributed in the compiled state?[/quote]
Yep. He was not authorized to distribute the source, just to tinker and release the results.

WizardStan said:
Yes they can. It's called an exclusivity clause.
Sigh. I wouldn't be surprised if one had indeed been signed. Our only hope would be if "Wiiware Cave Story" was enough of a different game (new graphics, music, levels and game modes!) that the old free version could be distributed in some ways. I guess we still have that hope? After all, you can still download it.

Exophase said:
Good News Here
Woo-hoo! Well, I'm satisfied.

Hey guys... that article was wrong. Check the link at the bottom. His source apologized for saying that Pixel had requested it to stop here.
Maybe it could be possible... although that "bug" he mentions is worrying...
Anyone here have the dedication to port this thing?

fearofshorts said:
although that "bug" he mentions is worrying...
From the comments thread;

spotUP said:
The bug is in the Amiga version only.

;)

I actually haven't played very much of Cave Story myself, though I've got to say that I'd like it if there were a version available for the Pandora. If there was a commercial release on the app-store, even, it would be an insta-buy for me. :p Not that this comment is particularly relevant to GP32 or GP2X emulation, though. :lol:

Kicker said:
Well, you've ruined my day. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY
Dude, what is your problem? As if I was affecting all this in any way.

The fact is, the ports being done around the time of WiiWare announcement were canceled due to mysterious reasons, and no new ports appeared ever since.

Back