Interested.. Gba Vs Gp32

GP32 SNES emulation is better (and cheaper) than GBA SNES emulation. SNES on GBA doesnt run many games and doesnt run them well, with bugs. GP32 is infinetly better than GBA for emulation. As for homebrew games, i dont know.

I think that the only system that is emulated close to or better on the GBA is PC-engine. It is not a hardware thing as the GP32 could absolutely destroy the GBA for PC-engine emulation. It has to do with the fact that the source code was lost for the GP32 version so it is dead. While on the GBA you have FluBBa's brilliant PC-engine emu that is updated frequently. I think the source is available if someone wanted to port it. FluBBa himself only does emus for Nintendo hardware like GBA and DS so unfortunately these is a slim to none chance that he will port it himself. Other than that GBA is pretty much weaker for emulators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for your insite. GP32 is definitly my choice..

But with the DS now available, how is it's HW specs? They have to be better than the GP32 I would assume. Does anyone know if it's possible to get EMU's on it? Seems to me the prob with GBA and emu's is the lack of power.

Would I be better off saving my money and watching how the DS scene goes?

Andy

Thanks all for your insite.  GP32 is definitly my choice..

But with the DS now available, how is it's HW specs? They have to be better than the GP32 I would assume.  Does anyone know if it's possible to get EMU's on it?  Seems to me the prob with GBA and emu's is the lack of power. 

Would I be better off saving my money and watching how the DS scene goes?

Andy

The DS may get homebrew/emus. BUT there are certain things with the DS that still gives the edge to the GP32.

The GP32 has a bigger screen at 3.5" vs 3"

The GP32 still has higher resolution at 320 x 240 vs 256 x 192 for the DS. By the way Genesis is 320 x 220. Display that on a DS, it will be all scaled down and pixels cut out, try reading RPG text on that - ouch.

Gp32 still has a faster CPU.

SMC media is cheap 128 megabytes for around $22.00, check the price of those 128 megabyte (1 gigabit or 1 gig as they call them) GBA flashcarts. Now just imagine how expensive DS flashcarts will be, especially when they first come out :eek:

It will take awhile for stuff to be made. The DS is still not powerful enough to do a quick port from current source codes, it will have to be optimised for the hardware. This will take time.

The DS may get homebrew/emus. BUT there are certain things with the DS that still gives the edge to the GP32.

The GP32 has a bigger screen at 3.5" vs 3"

The GP32 still has higher resolution at 320 x 240 vs 256 x 192 for the DS. By the way Genesis is 320 x 220. Display that on a DS, it will be all scaled down and pixels cut out, try reading RPG text on that - ouch.

Gp32 still has a faster CPU.

SMC media is cheap 128 megabytes for around $22.00, check the price of those 128 megabyte (1 gigabit or 1 gig as they call them) GBA flashcarts. Now just imagine how expensive DS flashcarts will be, especially when they first come out :eek:

It will take awhile for stuff to be made. The DS is still not powerful enough to do a quick port from current source codes, it will have to be optimised for the hardware. This will take time.

True. Wow, I cannot believe what the DS really is.. What are the specs on the PSP? I wonder how and if that will end up being good for hacking. I think I also read something on some sort of game handheld that MS was making?

looooooooooooooooool
and for gizmondo ?
do you think if the gizmondo is better than the gba,the gp32, the ds and the psp?
and for ngage ?
do you think if the ngage is better than the gba,the gp32, the ds and the psp?
and for zodiac ?
do you think if the zodiac is better than the gba,the gp32, the ds and the psp?
so...stop to say comparison between handheld
chose yourself your system with your desires !

looooooooooooooooool
and for gizmondo ?
do you think if the gizmondo is better than the gba,the gp32, the ds and the psp?
and for ngage ?
do you think if the ngage is better than the gba,the gp32, the ds and the psp?
and for zodiac ?
do you think if the zodiac is better than the gba,the gp32, the ds and the psp?
so...stop to say comparison between handheld
chose yourself your system with your desires !

The point was that he was trying to decide between the GP32 and GBA as which one to buy, not to say which system is the "best". So we were giving reasons why the GP32 is better for emus than GBA.

is not the pb
Thraka said that he prefered off saving his money and watching how the DS scene goes...
when i bought the gp32 i didn't make a comparison between all the system of the market
i bought the GP32 for emus and for dev on it, because in the past the gp32 could make me completely happy for my creations
now i'm working on pocket pc (asus A620^^) and on it there are emu too like FpseCE (psx) or morphgear (snes,nes,gb,genesis...)
i can watch movies, drawn, played
so...
if he want to buy just an handheld the must choise for him is a NDS or a PSP
GP32 is an another system and he could be lost...
so Thraka, make a good decision before bought !

i just tried the newest PCEAdvance (on GBA) and thought it played like crap compared to the GP32 emulator? am i a moron? it was slow and very choppy..

Back