Importing To The Uk

fade

Website
Visit site
This isn't a GP32\GPX2 specific question but it could well be applied to it. I live in the UK an I bought my GP32 from Gbax, but recently ive been interested in some of the stuff on Lik-Sang. However, ive read a few horror stories about ppl being charged import tax upon receiving their orders in the UK. This has put me off buying anything until a friend recently told me that if its specified in some way that the item you are recieving is a gift, you don't pay any import tax.

I'm a bit dubious about this so i though i'd post it here to folk more experienced with importing goods from abroad into the UK. Anyone heard of this or know if its true?

fade posted on Aug 9 2005 at 01:41 PM said:
This isn't a GP32\GPX2 specific question but it could well be applied to it. I live in the UK an I bought my GP32 from Gbax, but recently ive been interested in some of the stuff on Lik-Sang. However, ive read a few horror stories about ppl being charged import tax upon receiving their orders in the UK. This has put me off buying anything until a friend recently told me that if its specified in some way that the item you are recieving is a gift, you don't pay any import tax.

I'm a bit dubious about this so i though i'd post it here to folk more experienced with importing goods from abroad into the UK. Anyone heard of this or know if its true?

If it is marked as a gift you are allowed it to be up to the value of £36
If is not marked as gift the value is somewhere around £18 that includes postage costs as well.

Otherwise it is down to luck.. there is no easy way to avoid get out of paying taxes that are due to the taxman ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
aha, thanks. £36 aint that much, what if someone sends you something a bit more valuable as a gift, damn import taxes! <_<

I've bought numerous things from Lik Sang, including a £100 GP32 BLU, and never got charged import charges. Magic things can happen if what you are buying accidentally gets marked with the wrong price for example :)

Now, I bought a PSP via GBAX (thinking UK based, so no import charges), and got slapped in the face with import costs, as it was actually delivered from Hong Kong :(

play-asia are 'suposedly' better then lik-sang for import costs. I ordered £410 worth of stuff from lik-sang, cost £40 for P+P and £80 for import charges.

yaustar posted on Aug 9 2005 at 06:59 PM said:
play-asia are 'suposedly' better then lik-sang for import costs. I ordered £410 worth of stuff from lik-sang, cost £40 for P+P and £80 for import charges.

I know where I'll be getting my gpx2 from then :)

*signs up to mailing list*

Squidge posted on Aug 9 2005 at 03:52 PM said:
I've bought numerous things from Lik Sang, including a £100 GP32 BLU, and never got charged import charges. Magic things can happen if what you are buying accidentally gets marked with the wrong price for example :)

With some importers you can ask them to mark the price down on the invoice but.... if it gets broken or lost, any insurance will only cover what the package is worth.. which as its from a commercial company you will get no more than £18 for you £100+ handheld.

Customs still may even randomly check marked down packages as well.

Its all luck/risk at the end of the day

I ordered a game for my PSP from Lik-sang, I got it from there specifically as it had free delivery.

On delivery I had to pay £8 import duty GRRRR..

Back