If And When Google Chrome Gets Ported To Linux

nightwheel

Website
www.nightwheel.wordpress.com
I know Google Chrome is open source. But if and When Google Chrome gets ported to linux. Is there chance that it will get ported to the Pandora by some one here.

Just a thought that ran through my mind. Brought on by the fact I'm a avid Google Chrome fan and user.

If a program is completely open source it can be ported. If that is true for google chrome I think it shouldn't be that hard to port. Maybe a simple recompile would do.

If its open source and all the libraries it relies on are open source or available for ARM, no reason why not. However AFAIK Chrome is fairly CPU intensive, so it might not give you an enjoyable browsing experience on the Pandora.

Zeno Arrow said:
If its open source and all the libraries it relies on are open source or available for ARM, no reason why not. However AFAIK Chrome is fairly CPU intensive, so it might not give you an enjoyable browsing experience on the Pandora.
Firefox is not really a lightweight either and it seems to be working fine!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think chrome should be lighter than firefox. Webkit is generally lighter than the gecko engine.
Webkit is being used in the iphone, android and now the Webos from palm...
BTW is the webbrowser of android open-source... maybe it's worth looking into it.

I have to say I don't really care about chrome in particular but having a correct browser based on webkit would be a plus IMO.

The main problem I see with firefox is that it's interface is not designed with small screen in mind. It's also a bit too heavy although I am sure than the pandora will be able to handle it to a certain point. The big plus of firefox is of course the many plug-ins.

And there is also fennec the mobile version of firefox. It's still in alpha I think but it might be worth looking into it in the future.

Also I was thinking... are they any plan for using the gaming control as shortcut for applications and web browsing in particular ?

marshal said:
I think chrome should be lighter than firefox. Webkit is generally lighter than the gecko engine.
Chrome offers speed over some other browsers by effectively opening a new instance of the browser for every webpage you view. So whilst it might be faster for looking at one or two pages, if you like having multiple webpages open at the same time it's more resource hungry, which means it is likely to be slower than Firefox on a lower power device (which the Pandora is if you compare it to desktop PCs).

are they any plan for using the gaming control as shortcut for applications and web browsing in particular ?

If there aren't any, then I will certainly try and hack that sort of functionality into my Pandora. The analogue stick + shoulder button are an easy combination that's accessible to the hand with which you would be holding the Pandora and it would be criminal to waste the opportunity.

Chromium is the open source project behind Google Chrome: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/

You'll notice there's already much talk and activity with respect to a linux port.

And see here: http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/linux.html

It's coming.

Zeno Arrow said:
marshal said:
Chrome offers speed over some other browsers by effectively opening a new instance of the browser .
A new process, yes, a new chrome, i would not say that. I'm not sure this is more hungry that "simple tabs".
A thread versus a process ?

hells_dark said:
Zeno Arrow said:
marshal said:
Chrome offers speed over some other browsers by effectively opening a new instance of the browser .
A new process, yes, a new chrome, i would not say that. I'm not sure this is more hungry that "simple tabs".
A thread versus a process ?

Let me put it this way, what do the multiple Chrome processes share? If they do not share then they are effectively new instances of Chrome.

Naught but a sprinkling of GUI, but who cares.

Chrome will run on the Pandora with no problems, assuming it can be compiled on it in the first place. There will also have to be some GUI mods to better support 800*480. They wont be strictly necessary, but surely preferable.

And finally it should monitor the game controls for input, to grant easy access to scrolling/panning/navigation or whatever you might desire.

Less talking, more porting!

Zeno Arrow said:
Let me put it this way, what do the multiple Chrome processes share? If they do not share then they are effectively new instances of Chrome.
You're right but i would be really surprised if they don't share anything ;)

Wait, did they make an official version of google chrome? I think I've been using a beta version of it for a while and it's pretty buggy. I only like it because of the big screen and the most visited page. Just yesterday I switched over to firefox because I was sick of the bugs.. How ironic..

zzaz3 said:
Wait, did they make an official version of google chrome? I think I've been using a beta version of it for a while and it's pretty buggy. I only like it because of the big screen and the most visited page. Just yesterday I switched over to firefox because I was sick of the bugs.. How ironic..
Most visited page?
If you use firefox 3, from a new install, check your bookmarks toolbar. See the most visited folder? Look at the top link in there ;)

mali said:
Usually I avoid spyware.
LOL
just what I was going to say... then again I use googlemail...

mali said:
Usually I avoid spyware.
Chrome is based on an open-source project. Where do you think they're hiding this so-called "spyware"?

I use Chrome at work. Opera became a big pile of suck recently, and Firefox managed to do it a while ago. There seems to be a process that goes:

1) Make a fast, lightweight and efficient browser
2) Add some useful features like tabs and widgets
3) Pile on pointless shit until the browser is bursting at the seams from bloat
4) Try and reign in the bloat in a new version
5) Goto 3

Occasionally step 4 is ignored because nobody gives a monkeys about efficient and lean code anymore, after all if you're targeting the most bloated pile of crap operating system on the market you might as well make your software to the same standards.

I'll stick with Chrome until they hit step 3.

WoD said:
Chrome is based on an open-source project. Where do you think they're hiding this so-called "spyware"?
Just google(lol) it.
Everyone can use what he wants, I don't give a s** about chrome.

CandidStan said:
Might I ask, who the hell uses Google Chrome?
Me, the creator of this topic does see:

seeiusegooglechrome.jpg

Back