I'd Like To Start Developing - Which Sdk?

scientist

Still Fresh
For a little background - I started programming in the 90s, my first "program" being a nibbles mod, followed by a gorilla mod (for all my qbasic ogs). From there I got into visual basic 16 bit and did lots of windows 3.1 programming, getting very familiar with the API calls (anyone remember those old AOL "progs?"), which naturally led me into 32 bit windows programming.

From there, I dabbled in C, but hated it - so I branched off and got more into html, javascript, etc.

Currently, I would consider myself "advanced" in PHP, ActionScript (2.0), Lingo, and various other web languages. Other than those, I haven't touched much programming since .NET came out (except for MXML, which I won't get into...). Of course I'm very familiar with BASIC and some other older languages, but I'm not sure they are powerful enough for what I'd like to do.

What I would like to do, is just play around at first - but eventually I would like to make some cool apps and games. Perhaps some audio-based apps, and for games I was thinking small at first - an Oregon Trail clone of some sort to get used to the syntax then go from there.

So anyways, what would be the best route to get started developing, given my previous experience? Also, if it isn't obvious by now - I'm using a windows machine.

If you don't like C, you should consider giving Fenix a try. There is a lot of precious information on Fenix On Fire and on the GP32x Fenix Boards. Fenix is a great language for making games fairly fast, so that's very satisfying.

There's also a port of SDL Basic and JavaVM, search around on the archives.

Have fun :)

Last edited by a moderator:
quasist said:
I recommed using official SDK from gp2x.com
I don't, it totally sucks!
Grab the open2x one, its quite nice, and if you don't like it grab another, there are millions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why exactly it sucks? Its the only one that runs with the libc provided in the hardware, with any gcc4 toolkit you need to replace the libc, or compile statically and many of the apps I port are loading .so files at runtime, so static linking is not an option.

I even took the libs and headers of the official SDK and copied them to my SD card, along with a version of TCC. And with that and sterm, i can even develop onboard!

hmm, i read on the gph dev forums a little more about the official SDK, and it sounds like it's pretty much C++ syntax, am I correct?

GLBasic is more up my alley, although it appears to be very game-oriented. I'm sure it's capable of much more, however neither the site nor the forums mention anything other than game development. If anyone has more info on more audio features of this I'd love to know - any other links, actually.

Pygame seems like it could work - especially the documentation which is sparse, but excellent. Although, it only loads .wav and .ogg for now.

it might be helpful to mention that the very first thing i would focus on, would be GUI development. is that exclusive to the SDK I use for programming? If not, what can I use to make them?

Back