I Swear, There Needs To Be More Original Games

NssOne

I am One with the DarkNss
Website
www.gp32us.com
I'm seriously jonesing for some more original games for the GP32. Emulators are emulators, nothing new or original. Just the same old games again. I've seen some of up and coming homebrew originals. I would like to see more commercial originals. I really wish they could work faster on Bloody Cross. Now that's a great looking and playing game for the GP32. I wish there was more, especially if it was in English.

I know, hopefully the Euro Launch with help get some attention from some English/European/US game makers. And don't try to pull this 'Why don't you make your own game?' crap. If I had more time and programming skill, I definately would.

Anyways, just kind of wishing could get more out of developers.

Yeah, I feel the same way. But I think we'll just have to wait until the Euro launch or mabe GBAX 2004.

I do! I like all of your games, or at least all 1 that I have tried! :D I really love Perfect Fit! It's a really great game, all it needs now is some SFX and maybe some Tips on some of the levels, namely level 18 :D .

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 4 2004 at 12:07 AM said:
Im sorry! Im doing all I can! :blink:

I have a couple more games in the works (one is about 99% finished :D ) so look forward to them! (that is...of course...if you like any of my games... :unsure: )
Hey, I'm not yelling at anybody, especially not you. They look great. It's good to see some original homebrew for this system instead of just emus. And I'm extremely happy to see the new legendary homebrew game Beats Of Rage being ported to the GP32. It's just that I see many of these good-looking games on places like JoyGP that are only in Korean. And I know this system has more to offer and I'm just so bored with playing emus all the time. I wish I could see stuff like that on my GP32 that I could play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 18 is one the the easiest levels, I sent you the simple 5 turn solution for it in a PM just now. :)

I have one game that I will release in a few days probably (full with sound effects and music!) and a couple more in the works and hopefully additions to PefectFit and GPSquares (sound effects etc...) soon as well.

And yeah BoR looks great, if only I had an extra SMC for it so I didnt have to use the dumbed down pack. :(

yes, i agree. this is gameparks BIGGIEST fault. when you make a system the real money comes from publishing games, not the systems.

back in the early 90's several companies wanted to make systems, jvc was one of em, but rather than make a whole new system they decided to get some rights to the genesis and make that...with a sega cd built in...the resuly? the jvc x'eye or, in japan, wondermega (the wondermega 2 was similar to the us version, but it has wireless controllers built in...). this was a bigish flop...since the money a company makes is from the games, they really weren't making much money at all, if any...

but i am starting to work on a game...but this will be my first BIG project with C and its on a different platform than a pc...

Gamepark cannot have many commercial games simply for the fact that it costs more to make the game then they will make in sales. Every sale would be a loss.

If they started doing lots of commercial games, they would be in direct competition with the big boys, they are too small of a company to even stand a chance in that market and they know it, that is why they stay low, and survive off of the little income from the sold consoles and few commercially available games.

Sure the GP32 is great, but its more of a niche machine.

The GP32 does not have a userbase large enough to support a commercial system. If you were to make commercial games for the GamePark, you would end up spending more money to make the game then you would get back in sales.

You consider and average $50,000 to produce a commercial title, then you calculate the # of people that own a gamepark and actually want to buy that title (most of the already produced games for gamepark I wouldnt spend money on, just not my type of game) so at about an average of %30 of gamepark owners that will buy the game (if they have the money that is). At an average price of $30 (not counting what the stores take out for their %) they are still at over a %50 loss. They havent even made up for the cost of MAKING the game, let alone turning a profit.

For gamepark to try and go commercial would be the death of gamepark.

Big commercial names are going to look at PSP, Zodiac, Gametrac, etc..., the next gen systems, not systems developed over three years ago. Thats where their target audiance is.

I am not saying I dont WANT it to happen, just like the rest of you I look at Goddess Saga and Blue Angelo and drool. But realistically they dont have the userbase to support a commercial system.

So the best you can hope for is little startup companies or gamepark inhouse made games (which are still great, just look at Goddess Saga!) but not enough to compete on a commercial scale.

Even Zodiac is having trouble drawing the big name stuff. Most of the stuff they get is tweaked Palm games right now. I own one and the Palm stuff is quite weak. Anyone other than Sony or Nintendo is going to have a tough time in the mainstream.

Listen, I'm not begging for huge commercial games. I understand what it takes for most companies to develop games. I just think it sucks to see these beautiful games that are either a) in Korean or B) taking a long time in development. I guess I'm mostly ranting here. By ranting, I mean whining with the knowledge that it probably won't change a single god damn thing. There's some beautiful looking games out there for the GP32 and I can't play them because they're in Korean and I know nobody who'd be willing to help me understand what's going on in the game. It'd be nice to see more in English or that can be played without needing to hardly any language. In case anybody's wondering, I already own Pinball Dreams and D&G. The only thing that sucks about D&G is that there's no English instructions on how to play the game.

I am kind of a noob with the GP32 still. How exactly though do I buy a commercial game? Do I have to have the game registered to my specific unit? If so that is unacceptable, because if I get a new unit (like the BLU for example) I want the games that I PAID FOR to work on that unit as well. How does this work?

DaveC posted on Apr 4 2004 at 09:26 AM said:
I am kind of a noob with the GP32 still. How exactly though do I buy a commercial game? Do I have to have the game registered to my specific unit? If so that is unacceptable, because if I get a new unit (like the BLU for example) I want the games that I PAID FOR to work on that unit as well. How does this work?
It depends, if you DOWNLOAD the game (like a JoyGP game), its encrypted to your GP32.

If you buy the physical boxed version, its encrypted to the SMC that comes with it.

But dont worry DaveC, even if you buy a new GP32, you can rest assured that all the games I made will still work on it! :)

NssOne, the reason why the games take so long to develop is because its either being done by a VERY small crew (to minimise costs so they can actually make a profit) or its just not a high priority because, again, its not a big money maker.

I agree with you whole heartedly. I await eagerly Goddess Saga, and Blue Angelo, and english ASR. But asking for more commercial games isnt going to help. Now the games already being developed, thats a different story.

There needs to be more original games PERIOD on any system, at the moment there are only a few gems hiding in the wood works such as Animal Crossing and Wario Ware. It is a shame with the industry being in the state that it is at the moment. :(

A few more decent games wouldn't go amiss. I dont mind paying for decent games, and it would give devvers a reason for doing it other than personal satisfaction. The main problem with the homebrew scene is the lack of compensation for developers' time, and so you cant blamer them for being slow/not finishing stuff.

We can only hope :)

And to all those giving their time up to make new games - good on you - I only wish I could help!

Cheers

NssOne posted on Apr 4 2004 at 09:09 AM said:
The only thing that sucks about D&G is that there's no English instructions on how to play the game.
Yes there is! I have two .doc files for D&G and Little Lizard that I think I got from JoyGP. But there are about 3-5 games comming out sooner or later.

well, people will code what they want
so, even though its what you told me not to say ( just a hint , dont tell people not to say something, cause then you get a whole bunch of imature responces, and gay people calling you names thinking its funny and you still dont get the question answered )
Learn to code and make your own stuff
no offence, I am not trying to call you dumb, lazy , and ungreatfull, but there is a big chance that you want be able to sway most coders to stop an emulator and work on something out the the blue....lets just be honest here guys
If you would like to get something origional , try it for your self, or get a group of people that dont know much and try to make something. Cheances are, something goood will come out. So bottom line is, there wont be much homebrew stuff , because the few coders that there are , most of them are trying to make emulators and there minds wont be swayed. The few homebrew guys that there are are trying there hardest. If ya want homebrew, help someone who is doing homebrew while learning to code, and in time make a game exactly like YOU want it ( thats what I am doing )

~Octavious

yaustar posted on Apr 4 2004 at 07:40 AM said:
It is a shame with the industry being in the state that it is at the moment. :(
What's wrong with the game industry? It's the only industry that HASN'T been affected by anything. Even with its fear of priacy, it's still going strong.

Octavius: Why would you go and same the exact thing that I asked people not to say? I asked people not to say it because I already know and I don't want those other immature reponses such as people saying: "Why don't you make your own then?".

And I'm not trying to sway people from coding emulators to code originals. Although we have a lot covered with emulators, I wouldn't mind seeing some more polished off. Like with the SMS/GG emulator, wouldn't mind seeing savestates in there. Same thing with GPEngine.

I guess it's just that when I purchased my GP32 almost a year ago I had hoped for more of an original homebrew/commercial scene than there is. Maybe not so much commercial, but in seeing what possible originals people could come up with. Like I said before, emulators just play the same old games. Seeing something different and original would be nice.

Hell, if anybody wants ideas for games, let me know. I have a couple of them. I just don't have the skill or time to work on them myself.

Now, I have big plans ahead of me this summer, so I don't think I'll have much time to learn more coding for the GP32. Even now, I don't have a whole lot of free time where my mind would be able to work hard enough.

I meant that it is all about moeny with liences and sequels etc.. (Games industry that is) It is no longer good business sense to make an 'original' game....

Back