I Really Want To Get My Headphone Jack Fixed

SiIV

Website
Visit site
Hello, is there anyone in the US that can repair my headphone port?
mine has been broken for about six months and i wish I could use it again
i've tried resoldering two times, and nothing came from it
I still have the headphone port inside the system
If not in US, where should I ship it wherever to get it fixed, I'm desperate.
How much would it cost and how long would it take?
Any help please?

Well, if no-one else replies and you're really desperate, you could send it to me.

Postage from US to New Zealand isn't too bad (probably about US$6-8), you get standard airmail and it will take 7-10 days each way. I'll fix it in no time and send it back to you, so you'll be without it for 20 days max.

I hope you get a better offer!

SiIV posted on Feb 1 2007 at 08:29 PM said:
Hello, is there anyone in the US that can repair my headphone port?
mine has been broken for about six months and i wish I could use it again
i've tried resoldering two times, and nothing came from it
I still have the headphone port inside the system
If not in US, where should I ship it wherever to get it fixed, I'm desperate.
How much would it cost and how long would it take?
Any help please?
Where are you? I am in Northern CA and can do small soldering stuff like that. I could probably turn it around in a couple days to a week depending on when I got it, with USPS in a smallish box it shouldn't be too terribly long.

I would highly recommend getting a new high-quality jack from mouser.com or digikey.com, just so you won't have the problem with the old jack of catching on the headphones on the way in and out and breaking it loose again. I had the first edition and the jacks would do that, the second edition jacks where much smoother.

Does anyone have a part # or some specs on the headphone jack, new or old? I have the full Mouser catalog here too, it is as big as a phone book, so I could look it up from dimensions, or maybe the high-res pics I have. What did I order from them anyway for them to ship me something so big?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the one? I am going to have to go searching for the old headphone stuff again.

If none of the traces are damaged, I can clean off the pads and use some new solder and a new jack and it should come out very good.

If the old jack is fine it would probably work out too. But if it was always really hard to insert from day one, maybe replacement should be looked into. Nothing from mouser, I am going to look at digikey.com .

GP_Phono.JPG

I seem to remember now something about super-gluing the plastic nubs into those 2 holes before you solder it down and that will keep it totally in.

I just got a really nice 15 watt soldering iron and some de-soldering braid, worked great for a mod chip on circuits a little smaller than that.

I should have mentioned this before but I'm on the east coast
is there anyone in pennsylvania, preferably philadelphia that I could drive to and get it fixed?

Back