How to select wifi access point in mini menu?

Yep, I think Jeff's going to fix up those scripts I made whilst my Pandora's back in the shop getting some fine tuning and release it as a PND

yeah, I'll probably take a quick stab at them sometime in the next couple of days.

I'm woefully sleepy the last (oh, 15 months?) few weeks, but trying to get some free moments and energy up :)

jeff

so what's the status with this?  do we have some pnd that can show a menu to fiddle the wifi or whatever?

I kind of left it with Jeff, because I still don't have my Pandora back yet (though it has finally arrived in England, according to the tracking). If you're capable enough of editing scripts, feel free to go over the scripts in post 14 and fix it so nm-applet is run as a background process, and wrap them in a PND.

Last edited by a moderator:
OKay, guys, please try this pnd out and let us know if it works:

http://www.skeleton.org/tmp/nettool.pnd

Its essentially rewritten, but same concept (same steps as pmprog had before.)

A lot of little changes..

- all the subapps use the same appdata (no point in them having multiples, they don't log anything)

- changed the appdata name (sorry) -> mmenunettool

- changed category to Network, seemed to make sense (and given the name 'net tool' it'd be where you'd instinctively look for it I think)

- broke it into 3 explicit apps instead of 2 (ie: 'toggle wifi' seemed ambiguous .. what if wifi was loaded but not active, or if nm-applet was already running from an xfce switch, but wifi not up, or some other weird possibilities); so I made conn editor, wifi on, wifi off, so you can specifi exactly what you like

- since we're not trying to get right into the innards of what nm-applet is up to, it makes some guesses..  ie: when bringing wifi up, it checks if nm-applet is running or not and starts it up if its not (but leaves it alone otherwise.) Likewise, it doesn't load the wifi driver if its already present. However, if you have a loaded driver, but tell it to disconnect, then telling this job to 'wifi on' won't actually do anything, since it won't know if the driver is on or not since you might be fiddling.. it rather assumes a simple on/off/on/off workflow under its own control, but allowing for a few oddities. The intelligence here could be much improved.. do a ping-test, see if it works, and use that as a determinant for up or not, say .. etc.

- changed app names to be "MM wifi on" and "MM wifi edit" and that sort, so they fit on the minimenu display readably in icon mode

Scripts seem to work for me on a vanilla flash, so I think we're good

If this works peachy for everyone, it'd almost be tempting to add a alt-key shortcut to mmenu or whatever, to invoke this pnd directly without having to find it in the display, .. hmrf.

Anyway, please let us know :)

jeff

Offhand, I don't know what it does if wallet has a password.. will it ask, or hang? need to verify. If you find out, let us know :)

Gave it a quick try. Wifi On and Off works well, got a Problem sometimes with Wifi Edit though. After switching off Wifi, starting Wifi Edit, closing it again, Wifi On sometimes does not work. I'm also having the old "black screen for up to 3 min after quitting a program before Minimenu pops up again" now and then

"wifi on" is working for me, #1 primary major obstacle to using minimenu is gone.  HOORAY!

(edit connections?  pffft, I'm happy to do that in xfce)

"wifi on" is working for me, #1 primary major obstacle to using minimenu is gone.  HOORAY!

(edit connections?  pffft, I'm happy to do that in xfce)
Urm, there was already a "Toggle WiFi"? It was there when I first got my Pandora

Yeah but that would have been the script to turn the drivers & radio on and off,  Actually connecting to a network required loading XFCE.  The point of this PND is to actually establish a connection to the network.

- Neelix

Yeah but that would have been the script to turn the drivers & radio on and off,  Actually connecting to a network required loading XFCE.  The point of this PND is to actually establish a connection to the network.

- Neelix
yea, and turning the radio on without connecting is rather useless,

so we should link that menu option in to the "turn on / turn off" PND

Gave it a quick try. Wifi On and Off works well, got a Problem sometimes with Wifi Edit though. After switching off Wifi, starting Wifi Edit, closing it again, Wifi On sometimes does not work. I'm also having the old "black screen for up to 3 min after quitting a program before Minimenu pops up again" now and then
Thats an odd one, and could explain the other oddity you se. This usually means something is hanging on keeping the mount busy, and the pnd system (pndrun.sh in this case) is waiting aroudn trying to close the mount; after awhile it just gives up, and thus returns to minimenu.. but the mount is still up and things are a little confused at that point.

I'll have to fiddle a bit. some timing issue or goofy thing, thats hard to work around in something light like this without getting serious :) What functions work, dont' work?

ie:

Wifi On .. good?

Wifi Off .. good?

Wifi edit .. once in awhile not good?

jeff

tested and works, but spends a lot of time on each choice at a blank screen with a mouse on it before going back to minimenu for me...

Back