How to ID a 3530 and a 3730 in a running OS ?

Linux-SWAT

Forum Addict!
This was asked a lot of time, but i can't recall... :/

I think notaz pointed out a way to get the GPU speed, somewhere in /proc or /sys.

Maybe set it to OPP5 and then see what OPP it is at. The 1GHz models have OPP4 as highest OPP setting.

Some users may not want apps randomly overclocking (and slightly damaging) their hardware for no good reason.

Could you not just ask the user?

There is a way (I included it in our testing setup, it reports back whether you're testing a CC, Rebirth or GHz PCB), but we decided not to make this public as some apps might make use of it and lock some users out.

There is a way (I included it in our testing setup, it reports back whether you're testing a CC, Rebirth or GHz PCB), but we decided not to make this public as some apps might make use of it and lock some users out.
Why would any app do that? There is not that much difference between a 1GHz unit and an overclocked Rebirth unit, and of course the difference between CC and Rebirth is easy enough to check by looking at the amount of RAM.

I don't see why any Pandora dev would want to make software that only runs on some models; it's a small enough niche device already.

If I could add some info about the Pandora model in System Info, that would be nice, since sometimes people don't know what kind of unit they have.

Yeah I don't understand that. Can't you easily check the current clock speed? If programs insisted that a minimum clock speed were required they'd just do that.

On the other hand, there are feasible cases where a program would want to know which CPU is running. For instance, if I'm using a temporary buffer for something and benefit from having a larger buffer but only so long as it fits comfortably in L1 cache, I might prefer to size this buffer differently depending if I'm on OMAP3530 or DM3730. If this really made a big difference I'd probably just offer two binaries, though...

I want to use this for my Slackware build system.

The first boot on OP automatically compiles a lot of stuff, and i clocked it at 800MHz.

Once the rootfs is ready, of course the user has a 600MHz frequency at first boot.

Now that i have a 1G, i'd like to clock it at 1100MHz if the host is seen as a 1GHz, because my compilations can take a lot of time.

I also can make use of this because i switch cards from 1G to CC, and it's annoying to constantly set the speed.

You can just use the GPU information to confirm which SOC?

I've forgotten how but.. yeaaaaaaaaaaaah

I want to use this for my Slackware build system.

The first boot on OP automatically compiles a lot of stuff, and i clocked it at 800MHz.

Once the rootfs is ready, of course the user has a 600MHz frequency at first boot.

Now that i have a 1G, i'd like to clock it at 1100MHz if the host is seen as a 1GHz, because my compilations can take a lot of time.

I also can make use of this because i switch cards from 1G to CC, and it's annoying to constantly set the speed.
I have the same problem.

Can't use my Slackware SD in my CC Pandora as default speed is 1000 MHz and this will freeze the poor tiny Classic unit :) .

(Those people with multiple Pandoras cause only problems.)

User himself should be asked about any overclocking decisions, you can't assume every 1GHz unit can do 1.1GHz and rebirth/CC 800MHz. it's not hard to do that from a script.

Actually this info has already been posted on some thread, but I strongly not recommend anyone to use it as it's not standard kernel interface and that stuff may (or even will) change in future kernels, and your apps/scripts/whatever will break.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back