How To Get Quake Running

no_skill

gp2x! bananas! mayhem! mayham!
Website
72dpiarmy.com
Hi,

i'm trying to get Quake running on my Wiz.
i have pak0 & pak1 in my id1 folder,
but when i run quake it just loads the console, then crashes. (the console says "failed" somehwere, but its always too fast to decypher)

any of you got quake running & how?

do i need to install some libraries first?

thanks,f

any of you got quake running & how?

do i need to install some libraries first?

thanks,f
there are 2 sw quake version gpquake and tyr-quake and there a test glquake. You need to be clear which one you using.
For the sw versions libcastor is the only lib that the should be in the quake directory.
If you see the console, then its most likely a data file problem and not a program issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Step 1 - get this version of Quake 1 for Wiz and put it in the "game" folder on your SD card: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,15

2. Step 2 - get the full version or shareware version of Quake, install it on your computer, and then copy the PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK files from the id1 folder on the computer to the game/Quake/id1/ folder on your SD card. Where do you get Quake? You can get the full game from Steam for $9.99 http://store.steampowered.com/app/2310/

3. If you have the two mission packs for Quake, Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolution of eternity, you can run those as well:

For "Armagon":
1. Create a folder in the /game/Quake/ folder called armagon. Copy the PAK0.PAK file from the Armagon mission pack into this folder

2. Make a copy of your /game/Quake/quake.gpe file, and name it armagon.gpe. Edit it to read as follows:

CODE
#!/bin/sh

./cpufreq --freq 600
./tyr-sdlquake -game armagon
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

Instructions for Dissolution of Eternity are similar.

When you are done, your game/Quake folder contents should look something like this:

CODE
armagon
PAK0.PAK
armagon.gpe
cpufreq
diss
PAK0.PAK
diss.gpe
gpquake
id1
PAK0.PAK
PAK1.PAK
libcastor.so
quake.gpe
readme.txt
tyr-sdlquake

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got TYRQuake running perfectly, but GPQuake just crashes back to the Wiz menu. (I'm sure this used to work, is it a firmware problem? I'm on 1.1.0)
If GPQuake was working would there be enough spare memory to play the Quake soundtrack & the mission pack soundtracks? (from MP3s like the MegaCD in Picodrive)
Cheers, Neil

Back