How to fix a broken joystick

CrayonCollector

Still Fresh
Hey all. I purchased a GP32 off of someone on the board, and it came with a broken joystick. It does not move Right unless you press VERY VERY hard from the side of the joystick. Is there an easy way to fix this or should I return it?

i just repaired my two buttons with smd switches. i had to shorten
the a and b button quite a bit, then soldered the switches to the
interdigital fingers on the pcb. then i filled the holes in the a and b
buttons with plastic and it works better than the old rubber mat.

the joystick on the other hand is better quality from the start. It consists
of 4 microswitches which are separately available at your local electronics
store. i would guess that either one of those has gone bad or the plastic
stick in the middle is broken. just open up your gp32 and check
it. should be easy to repair.

I have no soldering experience so it wouldn't really help me much. How do you even access the joystock? I tried taking the GP32 apart and the board wouldn't come loose from the case (all screws were removed)

u can pull the joystick off, there u could see if theres anything obviouse like some fluff is clogging it, or u might wana take the case right off to see under the pcb

if the switches are on there way out as a short term work around i found after removing the joystick when u put it back, don't push it down all the way, the more it sticks up the easyer it should be to move to the very edges, seemed to help me as i was having trouble with the diagonals on my stick

CrayonCollector posted on Sep 4 2003 said:
Hey all. I purchased a GP32 off of someone on the board, and it came with a broken joystick. It does not move Right unless you press VERY VERY hard from the side of the joystick. Is there an easy way to fix this or should I return it?
I have the same problem with the joystick, but my GP was brand new. I think the quality control in GamePark factory is still poor.

I don't know how to remove that plastic cover of joystick's microswitches.

:ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmmm. my gp32 was new and didn't have this prob, and it wouldn't be gameparks fault it would be the company that make the microswitches. the way it is setup is hard to explain....

Well, I tried pulling the stick off and it wouldn't budge. I then took a butter knife and kind of pryed it up a bit, and now the right hand works. I still can't get the Upper Right and Lower Right to work (No sound is made when moving in that direction). I will once again try to pry a little more...

Back