How to convert my Turbo CD games so that they work with Mednafen?

Blue Protoman

I have several Turbo CD games I'd really like to play. Problem is, I have no idea what exactly Mednafen wants for its CD music! Format, bit rate, etc. I wanna use WinFF to convert my music.

Search the gp2x forums and look for the Temper release. Download and read the readme. It should tell you how to do it.

Anybody? I already have the ISOs, guys, no need to set off the sketchy alarm.

I'm using the new Mednafen build (with the other systems supported), by the way. Whenever I pick a .CUE file, I get dumped back to the selection window. My BIOS is in the right place.

EDIT: Now I have another problem, though not with the PC Engine. For some reason, my Neo Geo Pocket games show in Japanese through Mednafen, when they were in English with Race. How can I adjust it so that they show in English? Is there a BIOS or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody? I already have the ISOs, guys, no need to set off the sketchy alarm.

I'm using the new Mednafen build (with the other systems supported), by the way. Whenever I pick a .CUE file, I get dumped back to the selection window. My BIOS is in the right place.

EDIT: Now I have another problem, though not with the PC Engine. For some reason, my Neo Geo Pocket games show in Japanese through Mednafen, when they were in English with Race. How can I adjust it so that they show in English? Is there a BIOS or something?

I got you on this one, or at least tne NGPC part. The default ini file has the entry set for language set to English, when it really needs to be set to 1.

Turn on Hidden files(/directories) and navigate to:

/media/mdcblk#p1/pandora/appdata/mednafen/.mednafen/mednafen-09x.cfg

# being a number of your sd card slot

Find in the file

ngp.language english

and replace with

ngp.language 1

Save and start Mednafen-npc again and you'll have english for NGPC

:)

*Edit, fixed bad grammar X_X

Instructions on how to rip your cds to work with Mednafen in pandora:

1-Download TurboRIP. (If you are on Vista use This TurboRIP version.)

2-Insert your PCE disk into your CD/DVD Drive (or mount the BIN/CUE image).

3-Run TurboRIP and select the number of your CD/DVD Drive loaded with the PCE game (you should 1 or 2 and hit enter)

4-TurboRIP automatically create a folder with all the .ISO, .cue, .toc and WAV files.

5-Copy all the files described above to your SD.

6-Start Mednafen and choose the .cue file - It should work.

Alternative to reduce the size of the games:

You can convert the .wav files to .ogg files, there are many ways to do this and any bit rate would work with Mednafen.

If you do this, don't forget to change the .cue file too. You should change the music file extensions (from .wav to .ogg) and the words WAVE to OGG in the .cue.

Example:

ORIGINAL CUE:

FILE "TRACK-01.wav" WAVE

TRACK 01 AUDIO

INDEX 01 00:00:00

FILE "TRACK-02.ISO" BINARY

TRACK 02 MODE1/2048

PREGAP 00:03:00

OGG CUE:

FILE "TRACK-01.ogg" OGG

TRACK 01 AUDIO

FILE "TRACK-02.ISO" BINARY

TRACK 02 MODE1/2048

PREGAP 00:03:00

It is working very well for me.

Hope this helps.

Yesterday I tried converting my music to OGG (44100Hz, stereo), and again to WAV, with no luck! The emulator loads the .CUE file, but then I get a blank screen for my troubles.

EDIT: Also, tried changing that NGP setting. No luck!

Argh, all right, guess I'll have to "obtain" my games again. Good fun!

EDIT: No luck, again. Bit rate was 64kb/s (with the original files having one of 1141, or thereabouts), sample rate was 44100Hz, audio was stereo. I converted my music to OGGs, adjusted the CUE as necessary, and still could not run the game. When I load the .CUE, it still gives me a blank screen.

Back