How Munich replaced his Windows PCs with Linux

Yeah interesting.  Imagine one day when the majority of users in this world switch to Linux like the majority is using Windows now, wouldn't it make Linux less appealing to us just like most of us here on this forum don't really care about Windows?  Then Ed will rise to the occasion again a make a Windows OpenPyra 2 just like the OpenPandora  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jupp, old news actualy, Munich did this Years ago.
Never said it's new. Read the article. They simply come back on what the transformation took to happen. Steve Ballmer came to Munich to try to prevent them from doing so :)

a make a Windows OpenPyra 2 just like the OpenPandora :)
why would he do that since he cares about Free Software?

I meant that's when Windows becomes Open and Free whereas Linux will become Closed
Linux can't become closed because of its license. I guess you don't understand how the GPL works?

And Windows becoming Free Software is never going to happen. That's the bread and butter of Microsoft.

I guess Shenmue is joking about an alternate universe where everything is backwards (ie Linux being popular/closed, Windows being niche/open). Imagine ED actually being evil :angry: , or Craig being able to manage projects successfully :lol: .

Jupp, old news actualy, Munich did this Years ago.

Never said it's new. Read the article. They simply come back on what the transformation took to happen. Steve Ballmer came to Munich to try to prevent them from doing so :)
The Balmer part was indeed news to me. :)  Who could expect that the MS CEO himself travels to a german city just because they switch to Linux.  :lol:   Imagine more and more Citys do that (like it already happens), the new MS CEO would be very busy with traveling. ^^

Not surprising at all ... they did torpedo Nokia for the same reason ... it's the Micro$oft way, destroy any threat of competition, no matter how big/small...

Jupp, old news actualy, Munich did this Years ago. In recent news I read about they are not that satisfied with Linux actualy, some trouble with it etc. But overall it seemess to be an success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LiMux
It was MS that wasnt happy about it, sparking a debacle of outright lies, statistics, and witholding of information from their side. When it finally leaked it was bogus. Business as usual for MS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GendBuntu

December 2013 -

43,000 computers deployed with GendBuntu 12.04 LTS.

February 2014 -

Beginning of final stage of the migration of existing Windows XP computers to GendBuntu 12.04 LTS

September 2014 -

Migration completed. 75,000 computers deployed with GendBuntu 12.04 LTS.

Yeah interesting.  Imagine one day when the majority of users in this world switch to Linux like the majority is using Windows now, wouldn't it make Linux less appealing to us just like most of us here on this forum don't really care about Windows?  Then Ed will rise to the occasion again a make a Windows OpenPyra 2 just like the OpenPandora  :)
How about Haiku or something?  I would love to see what could happen if it became significantly more popular and had hardware designed specifically for it.

Back