How Many 'failed Consoles' Did You Go Along With?

jislizard posted on Feb 12 2006 at 06:10 AM said:
Plus if it was such a sucess where is the Commodore 128 ?

I use to have a Commodore 128. It was backward compatible with the C64. A very good little system. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishbong posted on Feb 9 2006 at 06:57 PM said:
Alex. posted on Feb 8 2006 at 09:48 PM said:
BRICK_GAME.jpg

- Alex
This is actually a very sucessfull system, it still gets produced and millions of people bought it.

about half of those are bought by my nan being suckered in from the man with the nice teeth on QVC (well, he is lovely)

Angel posted on Feb 13 2006 at 04:35 PM said:
i would believe your right, 3rd place in the US market, but still there's no possible way it could be remotely considered a failure.
It failed to do what Nintendo promised it would, which is revive Nintendo's relations with the third parties and make Nintendo competitive in the home market again. And for that reason, I think it failed (not that I don't like mine).

shinneri posted on Feb 14 2006 at 02:19 AM said:
Angel posted on Feb 13 2006 at 04:35 PM said:
i would believe your right, 3rd place in the US market, but still there's no possible way it could be remotely considered a failure.
It failed to do what Nintendo promised it would, which is revive Nintendo's relations with the third parties and make Nintendo competitive in the home market again. And for that reason, I think it failed (not that I don't like mine).

I still don't think that it was even a failure at that. Yes, they had less 3rd party support, but they did have much more support than the N64. And there were tons more games developed for all 3 systems. There were only a handful of games in the N64 time that was ported from the PS to the N64. Only a few come to mind, Resident Evil II and The Mortal Kombat Subzero game.

In that sense, I don't believe at all the Gamecube was a failure, it succeded far beyond what the N64 did, in my opinion.

from the C64 Wiki
During the Commodore 64's lifetime (between 1982 and 1993), total sales exceeded 22 million units.

Hardly 30 million, a mere 22+ million ! That's only 1 for every 3 people in the UK !

So it was POPULAR, not arguing about that, but commercial is based on money isn't it? and commodore ran out of money, so it failed, I mean if you are churning 22 million of them out for 10 years at $500+ a pop and you still manage to go bankrupt I wouldn't class it as a great sucess story, commercialy speaking.

It has an impressive list of achievements ( from the wiki )

best selling computer model of all time.
10,000 software titles
popularized the computer demo scene
a $460 mark up

but they still went bust.

Now you made me go and do more research.

Plus my car was a commercial failure, I even lost money on that when I sold it only five years later, MX5 a complete commercial failure!

I've got to stop selling stuff.

Zodiac, and, I saw someone list N64, so, N64. :)
Oh yeah, and a NGPC, although I bought it for collector's case.

jislizard posted on Feb 15 2006 at 12:11 PM said:
from the C64 Wiki
During the Commodore 64's lifetime (between 1982 and 1993), total sales exceeded 22 million units.

Hardly 30 million, a mere 22+ million ! That's only 1 for every 3 people in the UK !

So it was POPULAR, not arguing about that, but commercial is based on money isn't it? and commodore ran out of money, so it failed, I mean if you are churning 22 million of them out for 10 years at $500+ a pop and you still manage to go bankrupt I wouldn't class it as a great sucess story, commercialy speaking.

It has an impressive list of achievements ( from the wiki )

best selling computer model of all time.
10,000 software titles
popularized the computer demo scene
a $460 mark up

but they still went bust.

Now you made me go and do more research.

Plus my car was a commercial failure, I even lost money on that when I sold it only five years later, MX5 a complete commercial failure!

I've got to stop selling stuff.
That´s all bullshit.
Commodore did go bankrupt, but that has nothing to do with the C=64, which was in fact a commercial success.

Well ,fishbong, you have won me over with your impressive argument, can't win against your facts, your debating skills far outweigh mine so I shall now change my mind and remove the C64 from my list of failed consoles, I may even try and buy it back from the guy I sold it to.

Ps when you say
That´s all bullshit.

are you including all the stuff from the Wiki in your well thought out response ?

lol its not a commercial failure, its like saying the Atari 2600 was a failure because Atari went out bankrupt years later. Its technically not even a console.

The Commodore 64 ruled the 8 bit computing era i remeber that time very well it was not 100% a commercial failure. If anything it was probably the most succesful home computer of the 80's. How the hell it can be failure? You are just making an argument for the sake of it

The company may have ended up being a commercial failure but the commodore 64 most itself defitnitly was not.

Although again as angel noted it wasn't really classed as a console as it came in the home computer category... although it did accept cartrdige few were ever made.

Anyone who would call the Commodore 64 a failure clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

With over 22 million units sold (and that's only the official figure - it could be closer to 30 million than you think), having a commercial span from 1982 right through to the mid 90's, was the start for many of today’s top programmers in the UK, and STILL has an active demo and 3rd party hardware scene (you just got to know where to look on the net), no sane person is going to call it a failure.

Some Commodore computers that were successful:
Personal Electronic Transactor (PET)
Vic20
Commodore 64
Amiga 500

Commodore also released some real failures during the 80s:

SX64 (a portable C64 with built in disk drive and 5 inch colour screen)
Plus 4
Commodore 16
Commodore 128/128D
C64GS (A C64 console system)

But through all these failures the Commodore 64 (and later the Amiga 500) soldiered on.

What bought Commodore's downfall in the end was their inability to properly manage where they were headed with their technology. Within about 12 months they released the Amiga 500 Plus, the Amiga 600 and the Amiga 1200, each version being only partially compatible with the last. This caused a split in the community and confusion amongst consumers. The rise of the PC clone around this time also didn't help things.

But, despite all this, since jislizard calls the C64 a failure just because the parent company went down then it so obviously must be. Well then, the Atari 2600 is also a failure going by that logic, since Atari went bust years later.

Pull your head out your arse, no-one's gonna call the Atari 2600 a failure (note: not saying the you are either), and no one will ever call the C64 or Amiga 500 a failure either.

I bought a Cybiko!

It sucked when their site went down, and I couldn't get any more games. My brother and I used to play Cybiko games against each other... and my sister tried to sharpen my stylus with a pencil sharpener... at both ends...

I keep trying to get a CD32, but the prices are *still* too high for me--and they're hard to find with power supplies. It's top on my 'to buy' list.

nickspoon posted on Feb 16 2006 at 10:00 PM said:
I bought a Cybiko!

It sucked when their site went down, and I couldn't get any more games. My brother and I used to play Cybiko games against each other... and my sister tried to sharpen my stylus with a pencil sharpener... at both ends...

you can still get cybko game, i have a cybiko extreme

there are a lot of fansites... none of them are active anymore..

www.cydevr.net

theres one called cyblizzard... i believe

jislizard posted on Feb 15 2006 at 10:49 PM said:
Well ,fishbong, you have won me over with your impressive argument, can't win against your facts, your debating skills far outweigh mine so I shall now change my mind and remove the C64 from my list of failed consoles, I may even try and buy it back from the guy I sold it to.

Ps when you say
That´s all bullshit.

are you including all the stuff from the Wiki in your well thought out response ?
The Wiki facts arent´t bullshit, but the conclusions you draw from them certainly are.
You seem to think that the C=64 was the only Commodore product, and therefor the reason for them going bankrupt. As stated above, they earned lots of money with the Commodore64, but then released some funky, overpriced stuff.

Edit: I dont want to "pwn" anyone, but please check your facts before drawing wrong conclusions.

Back