How high are you willing to overclock/volt?

How high are you willing to overclock/volt? (For regular use, not for testing limits)

• Total voters

Blue Protoman

This is how high you're willing to overclock for limit-pushing software like Mupen, MAME .106, or PCSX. This is not about what you run other times.

If you don't have a Pandora, vote for the course that you will take when you get one. Keep in mind that overvolting shortens your Pandora's life!

Me? I go a little over 800Mhz. Typically around 850, sometimes 860. Though I am terrified to see what my unit's absolute limit is.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Showing my Pandora's muscles, but not straining them. (A little over 800Mhz at OPP3)" for me.

As far as I know, the highest my Pandora can stably go is 850MHz at OPP3, and to be honest that's all I really need for the times when I'm using "heavy" stuff. The "heaviest" pieces of software I use are MAME 0.106 (I own some CPS2 boards, and it's nice to have them in portable form), and DOSBox (but most of my MS-DOS software doesn't even need the overclocking anyway - I don't have very much, and almost all of it is for very old machines anyway).

I've never tried 875MHz, although that may also be possible (I might give that a go later, just to see). I know for sure that it can't do 900, though - it locks up instantly when set to that.

I've never felt a need to overvolt, and I can't really see that changing.

This is how high you're willing to overclock for limit-pushing software like Mupen, MAME .106, or PCSX. This is not about what you run other times.

If you don't have a Pandora, vote for the course that you will take when you get one. Keep in mind that overvolting shortens your Pandora's life!

Me? I go a little over 800Mhz. Typically around 850, sometimes 860. Though I am terrified to see what my unit's absolute limit is.
i have managed 1.125 gb but realistically it is pretty pointless until these emulators get optimised and it doesnt make much of a difference after 900 to mame106 taito f3 and other 68ec020 games seam to run the same speed as 900 stock at 1.125 so pointless exercise really pcsx runs most games ive tried at 870 more or less full speed mupen will need a major speed boost to get some games up to speed so id say overclocking again above 850 is pointless.

"Showing my Pandora's muscles, but not straining them. (A little over 800Mhz at OPP3)" for me.

As far as I know, the highest my Pandora can stably go is 850MHz at OPP3, and to be honest that's all I really need for the times when I'm using "heavy" stuff. The "heaviest" pieces of software I use are MAME 0.106 (I own some CPS2 boards, and it's nice to have them in portable form), and DOSBox (but most of my MS-DOS software doesn't even need the overclocking anyway - I don't have very much, and almost all of it is for very old machines anyway).

I've never tried 875MHz, although that may also be possible (I might give that a go later, just to see). I know for sure that it can't do 900, though - it locks up instantly when set to that.

I've never felt a need to overvolt, and I can't really see that changing.
struggling to get cps2 to work on 106 must have wrong files although they work fine in mameui 106? any suggestions?

struggling to get cps2 to work on 106 must have wrong files although they work fine in mameui 106? any suggestions?
I'm afraid I have none, other than what I've already suggested in other threads. (The whole Romcenter guide thing, and all that.)

I've never run into problems with it, but then again, the very latest version of xmame that's available in the Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu repository (this is my main operating system) is 0.106, so for me it was just a matter of moving what I already had to my Pandora's main SD Card.

Sorry about that. :(

I'm afraid I have none, other than what I've already suggested in other threads. (The whole Romcenter guide thing, and all that.)

I've never run into problems with it, but then again, the very latest version of xmame that's available in the Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu repository (this is my main operating system) is 0.106, so for me it was just a matter of moving what I already had to my Pandora's main SD Card.

Sorry about that. :(
Ok will scan the news groups for a link cheers anyway

caz

Usually not over 800, but mine can do 950 without overvolt. But that's really the upper limit, getting occational crashes at 960. Really only in LoZ-OoT I go that high.

For now I am defaulting at 750 (OPP3). I push it a bit further if I need too.

I seem to be able to reach 1Ghz at OPP5 (not stable at OPP4). Didn't try any higher.

Honestly I am not too worried about overvolting it but it just doesn't seem a necessity for normal usage.

Hopefully in the future the Pandora have better power saving that will adjust the voltage dynamically... but that's another story I guess.

Mine only lets me go up to 800MHz, so I overclock to 800 for mupen but stay at 500-600 for everything else.

I overclock to 1025mhz OPP5, doesn't seem completely stable at 1050mhz, eventually I will try around the middle and go up in gradual 5mhz increments every few days till I find the max, since I'm OCD like that.

I have over a decade of experience of with overclocking everything I've owned balls to the wall (current desktop system: i5 2500k @ 4.8ghz), likewise I've been doing the same thing with my N900 @ 1150mhz. I'm pretty confident that I won't damage my Pandora, and that it will be far obsoleted (ie: replaced with Pandora II) before any sort of harm befalls it.

That, and the CPU itself has a TDP of only about 1 watt while overclocked like this. I'd be very, very surprised if anyone damages their Pandora by overclocking. If mine does die, it'll be an lesson and I'll just buy another. No fear here.

All the way baby. I've set my ceiling at 1ghz/OPP5, but I only wind it up for special occasions, like Mupen64.

My default speed is 700mhz, for just a bit of extra snap.

All the way baby. I've set my ceiling at 1ghz/OPP5, but I only wind it up for special occasions, like Mupen64.

My default speed is 700mhz, for just a bit of extra snap.

Do you know at what mhz the Pandora switch from OPP3 to OPP4 and from 4 to 5.

I guess there is a way to check what is the current OPP level to figure that out or ?

Do not fear the Overclock :)

The Pandora will quite happily run at 1GHz Opp 5.

800 MHz Default for me.

Do you know at what mhz the Pandora switch from OPP3 to OPP4 and from 4 to 5.
It doesn't automatically switch. You have to tell it which OPP mode to go into. There's a "file" at /proc/pandora/cpu_opp_max that you can read and write to. It'll have a number, 1-5, indicating the OPP level. When you write to it, it'll change the OPP value. Although the file name says max, it currently sets it as the value and doesn't scale at all.

OPP5 uses more power and reduces the overall life of the chip slightly, but allows you to clock higher.

I try everything as low as it will go, as that was the point wasnt it? Tekken 3 at 1025mhz makes it pretty playable though but Abes at about 350-400 is possible as was Spyro demonstrated at stock speed. In general I'd say 800 is required for Mupen games and what the hell just crank it up and see what happens eh? There goes the warranty :(

I usually leave it at 500 until i start using one of the heavier emulators. And when i want to play Gran Turismo on the psx emu for instance, i just set it at the stock max of 900. My new Pandora did not crash once up till now (fingers crossed), my old one was stable up to about 860 so maxed it at about 840.

There goes the warranty

Well, i guess only in case of a burnout or something (Never heard of one, Dont Panic, Move Along ; ). If your nubs fail, they can hardly blame an overclock ;)

I usually keep the thing at 800. Usually, I find myself being paranoid about destroying it. I won't see myself going above that as 800 is pretty great for what I need it to do. I've found it can go up to 1.05GHz, but I don't plan on doing anything with that kind of speed.

I'll generally run MiniMenu or XFCE at 600mhz just for battery life concerns. Sometimes I'll bump that up a bit to give it a faster response time (XFCE mostly).

PSX-ReARMed will get anywhere from 700 - 850mhz (but the newer builds freeze at the top end). Notaz told me it's likely that I'm now hitting the max of the processor at that speed (@ OPP3) since he added the NEON instruction set to the emulator. I can still hit that if I overvolt, but it's not necessary for any of the games that I've tried.

850mhz is my stable maximum for OPP3. I don't remember how high over 1ghz I've gotten it at OPP5 because like others have mentioned, the law of diminishing returns sets in, and I don't see any added gain over about 900mhz or so.

I have no fear of overvolting, but I leave it off most of the time anyway.

Back