How Does .asf Compare To .avi Size Wise?

adrifter

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
http://www3.alpha-net.ne.jp/users/masa4/news0204.html

sorry the link is to a japanese site-- i think it was only released over here, and its hard to find now anyway... seems to have been released back in 2002 and they dont make it anymore. for those interested its made by sharp, and called MT-AV1...

just found a little guy like the one linked above used for less than 40 bucks US... thought it was great to encode live tv etc, plus it goes straight to an SD card...but the hitch is that it encodes to a format called .asf

before i lay down the cash-- i was wondering how big the files would be when i reencode to avi for use on the gp2x.

according to the guy who has it, it cant record movies unless you stabalize the video feed-- but he says warner bros, and some other companies dont even need that.

u think that this is worth the money?

d

Vimacs posted on Dec 3 2006 at 08:18 PM said:
asf is just a container, it can contain any codec.
OK, so its just that my cam saves its videos as asf files which are encoded as wmv. I thought that the two were related.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok... its a container like avi... which could be xvid, or divx... is there anyway to figure out which codec? and if so, any tricks for getting various players to play them? i remember the gp2x can play some third codec on version 2.0 if you rename it to avi... cant remember which format that is, but only that it was fixed in later firmware versions...

he let me borrow take a copy of prison break pilot, and on super fine... the asf was 145 mb... and when i ran it through super... it became about 230... if that helps

also...in case someone thought i was being dumb cuz the unit is already portable, why convert to gp2x

a> the battery is shit, and he says you cant find new ones now
b> i couldnt watch the stuff on the tv unless i used my laptop

thanks for the info...

much appreciated

d

Back