How Do You Find Programs Compiled For Arm

zombiesatemygoldfish

Still Fresh
What terms do you use or what sites even?

I tried googling programs compiled for arm processors, and I come up with less than useful results.

Software repository... debian has a big software repository for ARM.
ångström repository (the distro that will ship with the Pandora) also has some software

zombiesatemygoldfish said:
What terms do you use or what sites even?

I tried googling programs compiled for arm processors, and I come up with less than useful results.

That's not how you install most programs in Linux. You either download a package from a repository, or compile it from source.

Repos are easy: You just fire up your distro's package manager, use it's search feature to find the app, and click the install button. No looking around the net, no picking install directories, no hassles.

Just to give you an idea, Synaptic shows 28,965 packages available in the repos configured on my Kubuntu 9.10 box. You can find a program that does pretty much anything, and install/remove them easily.

If the program you want to install isn't in a repo, the source will generally be available on its web site. Compiling is no big deal, you don't have to be a programmer. Most times you just install any prereq libs via your package manager, then download/untar the source, cd into the directory, execute "./configure && make && make install".... and you're done. Apps tend to have their own specific build instructions if it varies from this process.

Last edited by a moderator:
The average user won't need to worry about this.
Most apps/games/emus they want will already be compiled for ARM and packaged into a nice PND file for the Pandora, and any others they just need to ask (assuming it's an easy job for someone).

Basically, don't look for ARM binaries, just browse the archives.

Are the GNOME libraries going to be included in the Pandora version of Angstrom, because I think running NetworkManager would be beneficial for connectivity (3g, wireless, bluetooth integration).

Back