How do i turn Wifi on?

quaelgeist

Still Fresh
I haven't been using the wifi of my Pandora for several months. Last week i wanted to use it again but it was turned off and i couldn't find any switch on the desktop or in any menu. Wth happened and how can i fix it, plz?

In the tool bar on the left side, looks kinda like a switch and a wrench, there's a bunch of options: CPU Speed, TV out, Bluetooth, USB Host, USB Mass Storage, and Wifi.

At one point in time my wifi disappeared from this list. Running "Upgrade Pandora OS" from the system menu brought it back. You may have to do that.

Thanks for your replies, but...

@WizardStan: tried your solution but doesn't work

@comradekingu: the wiki you posted the link to does not seem to address problems like that i am experiencing right now.

so... *bump*

Does the file /usr/share/configbutton/wifi.so exist? If you run configbutton in a terminal, do you see any suspicious errors?

I think I know what the problem is.

If you did an "Update Pandora" via over the air then the wi-fi icon goes missing from the taskbar and all menus once the update is completed. I had this problem. You'll need to download the full firmware and re-flash your Pandora to get it back. Unfortunately this will affect any change you've made.

@slaeshjag: no, this file does not exist. the terminal command shows:

Found plugin 'tvout.so' // also for usbhost.so, usbmass.so and cpuspeed.so

Opening /proc/1772/cmdline...

and that's it for the last 10 minutes. seems frozen.

@WizardStan: tried your solution but doesn't work
What do you mean "doesn't work"? You found the button, clicked it, but nothing happened? Didn't find the button? Something happened but not what you were expecting?

Upgrading the OS did not bring the button back in the tray applet. Whch may have something to do with him missing the WiFi plugin for it :p

@WizardStan: Just als slaeshjag said.

@ekianjo: Release 1.55 Super Zaxxon, Booting Kernel 3.2

@iprice: sorry, didn't see your post earlier. And yes, i believe i did such an update quite a qhile ago. Or at least i attempted it and it froze midway, i can't remember anymore. Guess i start looking for a tutorial on how to do such a reflash then.

thanks for your replies.

It does actually sound like you have a no-wifi firmware. Files doesn't usually just go missing from the rootfs, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
So you went looking for it, in that pull up menu, and it wasn't there? But the rest of the things I mentioned were?Try opening a terminal and typing

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_wifi.shIf everything is working as it should, that should turn on the wifi module, and you'll see some popups appear to tell you so. Call it again to shut it off.If this is working then all that has happened is your wifi button has disappeared for some strange reason, but I've got no idea how to get it back, sorry.

So you went looking for it, in that pull up menu, and it wasn't there? But the rest of the things I mentioned were?
Try opening a terminal and typing

sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/op_wifi.sh
If everything is working as it should, that should turn on the wifi module, and you'll see some popups appear to tell you so. Call it again to shut it off.
If this is working then all that has happened is your wifi button has disappeared for some strange reason, but I've got no idea how to get it back, sorry.
As said. The shared object library that implements the wifi option in the config tray icon is missing from the system. Copying it back would make the option appear, but something made it go missing in the first place...

As said. The shared object library that implements the wifi option in the config tray icon is missing from the system. Copying it back would make the option appear, but something made it go missing in the first place...
Mine disappeared for months and I was still able to use the wifi, I just couldn't turn it on and off with a convenient button. It only recently came back with a system update.

Nope, the sudo command didn't work either (command not found).

Thanks for the link to the Updates & Firmware page, btw.

That 1.52 to 1.53+ wifi breakage did make a mess. After having to reflash my 1GHZ unit I realized I could just use a USB Ethernet adapter and run the update twice. Which I did on my CC and rebirth units.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back