How did you here about the GP32?

Evil_Cartman posted on Jul 12 2003 said:
Nintendo's GBA Boards :D
Irony itself lol...

Well, mine as I'm sure people know already was a case of a broken eMerger for GBC, needing to replace it, and not being arsed to pay £100 for a GBC writer when I could pay £150 for something that did a LOT more. Never looked back :)

So far as I can tell, we fall into 3 categories so far...

1) The risk-takers decided to go for the thing despite lack of any English sites, good commercial games, or any real support, back when the thing first came out. They get most of my respect - if not for them, the GP32 outside of Korea probably wouldn't exist.

2) The money savers who didn't want to buy a(nother) flash writer for GB/GBA, and went for something a bit better in the long run.

3) The Magazine/Forum people who saw it somewhere relatively recently (AG - After GPEngine, probably) and thought "damn that looks sweet" and bought it.

Oh, and the 4th category of people who bought it to emulate a GBA. But they, unfortunately, are currently sulking in a corner (as a category, not necessarily as individuals) since GBA doesn't look amazingly likely, and certainly not in the very near future.

Any other groups people fall into?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ironicly, since the day it was announced, kept waiting..... waiting... revision......waiting.... revision......waiting. AND BAM...... IT'S HERE?!?!? :D

(I kinda liked the second to last design better myself)

A friend on IRC mentioned the gp32 to me, knowing I like cool stuff.. I liked it, saved up some money and bought it. Haven't had this much fun since I sold my A500.. :>

Wish I had bought a flu tho.. :\

I first found out about it in a tiny article in NGC Magazine (tho back then it was called N64 Magazine) When it was still in development and I remember trying to find out about it online but with no success, then a couple of years later(i use this time scale loosely as i cant really remember) I stumbled across it on Lik-Sang and thought, wow, it was actually released, then in short did some research and got one. :D

I read about it in a magazine last year and this year I knowledge on a Swedish site, that the GP32 were going to be imported to Sweden. I did some research and found the greatness of this machine, and all it's capacity. A date of an release in Sweden wasn't set yet, and finally I ended up buying one from GBAX. :D

I was looking up info on the new playstation and xbox (ps3 and xbox next) and I came accross a pic of gp32 and looked up more about it. A few weeks later I bought it and a week after that I came accross this forum.

A magazine first, i was dreaming of this console. A year later i've found it in a import store, i tried it, i enjoyedit and i bought it.

Lik-Sang told me to buy it because it could play movies. I was really just browsing, I didn't REALLY wanna buy anything, BUT THEY MADE ME DO IT!!

TJFBryant posted on Jul 12 2003 said:
Lik-Sang told me to buy it because it could play movies. I was really just browsing, I didn't REALLY wanna buy anything, BUT THEY MADE ME DO IT!!
Remember - just, say, no.

A friend from NGPC dev scene told me it's a must purchase.. must have been just shortly after they appeared to Lik-Sang <_<

(I kinda liked the second to last design better myself)

14012001-5.jpg

Yeah, I did too, but I can also sort-of see why some would've thought it was ugly...

It also would've been less comfortable to use (I mean, see how close those 3 buttons are?).

I wonder what happened to Kisi and Kimi? :lol:

kisi.jpg

Does anyone remember that? I think Gamepark said in an interview that "Kisi and Kimi show affection and love to each other, and this will make them attractive to game players." or something like that. :D They knew almost nothing about what appealed to gamers back then (even less than now, I mean; why don't they show an interest in 3rd parties?).
On the other hand, their RPG Highmoss looked pretty promising... no idea why they cancelled it...

hmbridgesmall.jpg

OK, I'll stop talking about the old days now; the new days are much better. :)

EDIT: My 100th post! Celebrate! :p

mr.spiv posted on Jul 12 2003 said:
A friend from NGPC dev scene told me it's a must purchase.. must have been just shortly after they appeared to Lik-Sang <_<
Who would have told you that? B)

Don Miguels old RM2K World forums, he kept talking about how cool the handheld was and how it was superior to GBA. The price was a bit steep back then for me, but now that I have stopped being a lazy bum, and starting working for some money it's obtainable.

I was strolling around ECTS 2002, and was gretted by a gamepark employee in the GameInfinity (korean games) stand - he had a gp32 with Doom, i listened, and got one a few months later

--jo

I don't remember how I first heard about it. I might have seen it while I was looking for some ngpc stuff on the internet. Or I might I have read about it on the neo-geo.com forums.

saw an article in a smart UK games mag (Computer and Video Games) they said it could play emulators and i was hooked since then, had to get my hands on one, but at the time, i was saving for my new 3GHz PC B) , but now thats all out of the way i got one, just at the right time as well, already got some smart full-speed Emu's (NES and SMS) and just in time for GP Cinemar to come out! :D

Back