How about NetHack?

Prophet

God I'm old.
Website
Visit site
NetHack homepage

Anyone looked into porting it to GP32? Seems a good candidate. I've played the PocketPC version and nothing the GP32 couldn't do. The UI would need tweaking of course, but it should be possible via drop down menus or such.

I've thoguht about it a few times; ie: First cut the text nethack, and then later a font version which used fancy artwork instead of simple characters.. *shrug* The trick is nethack using every key on anormal keyboard pretty mcuh, so you'd have to make a pile of context sensitive menus that mapped to keypresses, etc. Maybe lots of work?

But nethack itself should be a relatively easy port... just lots of tiem to make it a good port :)

jeff

Well, context sensitive menus would be a lot of work. But how about just a few hierachical drop-down menus? I used to have a version of Rogue/Hack on the Amiga many years back that had drop-down menus.

It would be no more laborious than typing the commands out on the Pocket PC version's onscreen keyboard.

I think. ;)

Anyway, I can't think of a better suited guy to try porting it than you, so if you ended up deeming it a waste of time I'd believe you.

I think I've been playing Rogue for close to 20 years now. Started on our PCjr when I was a little Flack, and still have it on my 2 gigahertz machine today. Screw Diablo. I don't need fancy graphics -- a B is a bat and L is a Leprechaun and Y is for Yeti.

Why is it that so few people understand that logic, Flack? To me it makes perfect sense!

Code:
                                  ----------------
                               ###@BE.I..KKK.BII.+
--------------------          #  |S.IS..I.....B]|
|                  +###########  -------+--------
|                  |
--------+-----------
         ######
         -----+----
         |        |          -+------------------
         |        +####      |                  |
         |        |   #      |                  |
         |        |   #######+%       )         |
         --------+-          --------------------

Level: 1  Gold: 0      Hp: 11(12)   Str: 16(16) Arm: 4  Exp: 1/4

You can... well, you can certainly get Moria, I don't know about Nethack. But its messed up a little - the image is shifted about 6 chars right, and cuts a bit off the right and side of the screen. Might be more than 6, eaily; enough to make it bloody annoying to try to actually play.

Back