HOMEBREW SUBMISSION/VOTING THREAD

Which is your favourite?

• Total voters

(though the thought process probably is not the problem in level "Greyout" rather than the actual jumping and manoeuvring).
In my experience, it has definitely been largely about the thought process.
It's both... first you have to figure out how to get to the other side...

Then you have to be able to get both the black and white guy there without dying O_O

Confirming that I got the price money - thanks richiz!

Yeah, ideally the first post should be edited to announce the winner... I guess Pandorapress will mention the ending of the competition and the winners too.
I will write a blog post on Sunday (if Gruso or somebody else does not beat me to it) as I am leaving for a mini weekend off in a few minutes ;)

(though the thought process probably is not the problem in level "Greyout" rather than the actual jumping and manoeuvring).
In my experience, it has definitely been largely about the thought process.
It's both... first you have to figure out how to get to the other side...

Then you have to be able to get both the black and white guy there without dying O_O
Okay, thanks for the feedback guys, I guess proper playtesting will sort that out.

foxblock out

The more competitions the better I say.
I agree! I promise to enter the next one. For various definitions of "promise", but I'll try real hard!

I'll hold you to your promise :) I'm organizing another competition for the whole community, pandora, gp2x, dingoo. So i look forward to play your entry.

And contratz to all the winners, and thank you to everyone who entered. There are some nice games here. (and thank you for making them available on pc as well :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i should mention that wars commando doesn't show up neither in minimenu nor in xfce. The game itself works great, when started from console.

As this was brought up earlier in this thread, does anyone else still has that problem? i seem to remember it worked in the version with the bug in the main menu.

^ I recall this was due to a bug in libpnd or something like that, not in the PND. Maybe someone with more information can shed some more light on this? As far as I know most people have theirs working correctly.

i reflashed with hf5, installed only the community pack and put the pnd in a completly reformatted (fat32) sdcard under pandora/menu/

so it's very strange, that it seems to work with the majority of the people

edit: xfce lists at least the documentation file

edit2: usually i only use the menu folder. i just tried desktop and apps, and now it shows up on the desktop under the name "bzar-wars-commando-00001#0.desktop". better than nothing but something weird is going on there

I know my game "Rescue" didn't deserve to win this competition, but I think it was perhaps a little under played. You're not all so afraid of a naked man, are you?

So anyway, I want to offer some $$ large cash prizes $$ for anyone who is able to complete part of the game, by rescuing some of the lady folk who are stuck down the cave.

See this page for details, scroll down: http://sam.ai.ki/rescue.html

How often do you get a free / public domain game with cash prizes? Not very often. Take advantage of my insanity.

I have managed to rescue almost all of the girls, but not all in a single game! But then again I'm not much of a gamer, the force is not strong with this one. I have not heard report than anyone else has rescued any of the girls yet. Most people seem to get stuck at an early stage, and give up. My three year old son can play it better than those people! Please read the hints on my webpage.

The cash prize pool for my proposed "rescue" competition is $300 AUD ($315 US / £193), plus a mystery prize of great value if you can achieve the impossible and rescue all ten girls. Some of the prizes are very easy to take out, any child could do it. The game is pretty damn hard, but someone should be able to take out the first 3 or 4 prizes at least. If anyone cheats, and I notice, the competition is off.

If still no one rescues any girls, even with this cash incentive, I will cry myself to sleep every night for a month, quit developing lousy games for the Pandora, and shift over to the playstation or iPhone or something! nah not really... but I will be pissed off and embittered inside!

Hi sswam, I really would like to try it, but can you change your key bindings a second time or adding buttons for users with no English keyboard? My / and ' are far away on my keyboard and I have to press shift. So would be nice, if I could usw e.g. "," and ".". This buttons are nearly on the same place like your "/" and "'" (I think so, I had to search the English keyboard layout in google ^^).

Nevertheless I will try to rescue some girls midday. ^^

greetings, Ziz

Hi sswam, I really would like to try it, but can you change your key bindings a second time or adding buttons for users with no English keyboard? My / and ' are far away on my keyboard and I have to press shift. So would be nice, if I could usw e.g. "," and ".". This buttons are nearly on the same place like your "/" and "'" (I think so, I had to search the English keyboard layout in google ^^).

Nevertheless I will try to rescue some girls midday. ^^

greetings, Ziz
This. I'd suggest using the arrow keys for moving left/right/up/down, something like t, f, g and h for camera moving, r and y for zooming, space or s for jumping, a, w, d for rope stuff. Letter placements, as long as you don't use y or z, are quite standard across most keyboards (except dvorak), and I think the keys should be grouped together. arrows/space for basic movement is fairly standard. Currently I can't use the "down" control at all.

Also, the game seems to always end in segmentation fault (no matter how I exit it), and messes up my opengl, rendering my composited desktop unusable until I restart X. I've so far had two versions of the game, one is framerate unlimited, which goes faster than anyone could control and the other is slower than molasses because the previous run messed up my hw acceleration. These are probably not exactly your problems, because fglrx drivers are not exactly known for their high quality, but reasons why I haven't played this one more.

Regarding the game itself, how do I get the first girl out? The one you get to by going up/left from the first crossroads. I've made bridges from rocks (I think that much is obvious), but the girl seems to jump around five centimeters. So I can't get her all the way to the flowery safe ground. Don't answer directly, as that would spoil the game and the competition. This is more like "I'm stuck here" notification. I've killed nearly every enemy I've gotten my feet on to, but haven't found a way to rescue (bring back, I've had several following me) a single girl probably due to the controls and game speed. Also, I haven't gotten the rope to work at all.

Your game is being played, it's just difficult :)

In closing, here's a fun situation I got myself into when one of the girls slipped :p

PS. Ha! It seems I myself used y in the above layout :) . ok, u and j for camera zooming :p

rescue_oops.png

Hey swwam I think you're probably underestimating how much its played. I've played it for hours.

I've played it for so long in fact I figured how to scale the wall after jumping over the first fire.

Then scaled the big tree thing to land on the monsters head and rescue the girl at the top of the mountain. I may do a quick video as its quite amusing.

What I haven't figured out yet is where the hell I take the girls. For instance if I rescue the first three girls (one on top of level and first two you come across) then they follow you but get stuck on the rocks and can't move any further.

Ill try figure out where I gotta take them but I do think I agree with the other guy in having a very simple first level.

It is a good game though I would also like proper running and jumping sprites.

Hi sswam, I really would like to try it, but can you change your key bindings a second time

ok, I like the original PC keys, but I will make it create and read the key map from a file in its appdata (or cwd), so you can configure whatever keys you like. I'll get back to you shortly!

Seems to me, there should be SDL key codes based on where the keys are physically located, not just for the symbols.

I'm aware of the GL sync / framerate problems with some GPUs, I'll have to look into that but it's a bit tricky as I don't have an array of PCs with Nvidia, ATI, etc. Someone can give me a hint, how to make GL wait for VSYNC at each frame? As I minimum, I can make it nanosleep a little to keep the framerate down. My best suggestion so far is:

export __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=1

If the game is not working for you, please tell me what brand of GPU and Linux you have.

I don't know why it would SEGV, doesn't do that for me. Perhaps incompatible libraries or something.

@Richiz, thanks I'm glad you played it. What GPU do you have, ATI? You need to take the girls to the 'flowery' bits outside, there's one just beyond the first spike, and another at the lower-right of the map. It will make a sound when you do that, and the girl will stop following you, and I will send you $10 ;)

My new version includes 1GB of carefully selected OGG music tracks, but I don't think I'll distribute that in the packages! You can plunk your own tunes in and it will play them, though. For those who got sick of 'punishing the atoms'.

Regarding the game itself, how do I get the first girl out? The one you get to by going up/left from the first crossroads. I've made bridges from rocks (I think that much is obvious), but the girl seems to jump around five centimeters. So I can't get her all the way to the flowery safe ground.

You can Hoosh her over, much like Winnie the Pooh did when Eeyore was stuck in the river. Give her a push then jump and she'll be carried over, try not to spike yourself too badly!

I don't know how you could play it at all, if your PC hates it so bad? I'll can easily limit the frame rate, dunno about the SEGV.

It is possible to get the girls out when they are stuck in a hole, or if one gets stuck in that pool. But it's very hard, especially to get them out of the pool! The 'get out of a hole' method I'm alluding to, and good rope skills, are necessary to rescue any of the last 3 girls.

Humble Indie Bundle #3 not good enough for you?

Parodically, but sincerely, I offer this: the Arrogant Amateurs' Archive #1

Lawsuits will be hotly contested, Trademarks and Copyrights disrespected,

Worthy Suggestions loudly ignored... Cash ungratefully taken on board.

Pay what you want.

If you stole these seven games separately, it would cost around $0, but we're letting you set the price!

Support charity.

You choose exactly how your purchase is divided: game developers, charity (us), or even us!

DRM free.

Also, quality free, stability free, and money-back-guarantee free.

Install them as many times as you like, and they still won't work!

Pandora, Linux & Windows Compatible.

None of these games works great on Mac, Windows, or Linux,

the others could be persuaded to run using black magic.

It took a bit longer, because I don't have a paypal account and used foxblock as proxy (thx again ^^), but finally the money found its way to my bank account. :)

I'm aware of the GL sync / framerate problems with some GPUs, I'll have to look into that but it's a bit tricky as I don't have an array of PCs with Nvidia, ATI, etc. Someone can give me a hint, how to make GL wait for VSYNC at each frame?
Not sure if this is relevant to the Pandora. Here's what I use.

Windows

wglSwapIntervalEXT(1);

Linux

glXSwapIntervalSGI(1);

@Richiz, thanks I'm glad you played it. What GPU do you have, ATI? You need to take the girls to the 'flowery' bits outside, there's one just beyond the first spike, and another at the lower-right of the map. It will make a sound when you do that, and the girl will stop following you, and I will send you $10 ;)
When I push her then jump on the Pandora she doesn't jump with me =/

I may try it on PC to see if it's different

EDIT

Also do you hate? Humble Indie bundle? I looked at some those games and they seemed awesome :)

Was thinking of buying it..

The level creation guide and reference for Greyout is now online:

http://pandorawiki.org/Greyout

At the moment it is very text-heavy but I included an example and tried to keep it as easy to understand and clear as possible.

Once you are familiar to the level format (which is an ini-file basically) you will only need the reference tables and your imagination anyway.

Also there soon will be a new version with a few changed and bug-fixes.

Please feel free to comment on the usability of the guide and I would love to see some user-created levels :)

foxblock out

Back